Everything posted by sethoflagos
-
Time and heat death (split from Speculative science questions)
Unless you're suggesting that growth of the scale factor will decelerate to zero, can there ever be a maximal entropy? (IIRC, AOTBE, entropy grows proportionally to ln a) Ultimately, matter and energy may become so thinly spread out that particle interactions rarely occur, and each particle tends towards its own isolated little ground-state universe of entropy zero (in its own frame of reference). But then, many if not most of these will be photons which don''t experience time anyway. As for the leptons, while they are able to oscillate between their various flavours/states, they must still be little clocks ticking away for eternity, aren''t they? Which suggests that time will at least continue somewhere. Even when their nearest neighbours have been accelerated away to such an extent that their light cones no longer intersect. It all begins to sound a bit Hilbert's Hotelish, but I've yet to see anything paradoxical in an asymptotic approach to zero local entropy density at infinite time/global entropy. Not sure that 'equilibrium' has any meaning at such infinitessimally low densitities. No collisions: no equilibrium.
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
We're in the Lounge! (... and just how did you assess a 50 minute clip within 20 minutes of me posting it? Another mindless kneejerk reaction?)
-
EU goes Nuclear on US Tech Giants
On 4th June, the European Parliament replaced Google with Qwant and five days later, Europe released a sovereign alternative to Microsoft Office.
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
Ever wondered WHY you have such a negative instinct towards intelligence? I've linked a Youtube video that offers some explanation. I think it goes a bit over the top in places, but that's Australians for you. I know you won't actually watch it, and even if you did, you wouldn't be able to let yourself learn anything positive from it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9MubNsh3rs
-
Why you have to be so careful accepting answers from AI
I've just hopped onto chess.com to check the aforementioned 'one line that I don't play' (1Nf3 e5 2 c4...) and have confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that it is absolute poop. Not that it leaves white in a bad position, far from it, but 2 Nxe5 is simply up a free pawn with zero compensation for black. A no-brainer if ever there was one. Situation normal is reconfirmed. ChatGPT copies where it can and guesses where it can't. And now I'm pretty sure it copies extensively from the chess.com database (where a good few hundred of my games are stored - confirmation bias or what!)
-
Why you have to be so careful accepting answers from AI
I pretty much agree with all of your post above. It prompted me to repeat a question to ChatGPT that I have previously asked earlier LLM versions over the last few years, that, at first, drew hopelessly inept responses. Tonight I got: There's not a word here I can find fault with. In fact, I felt driven to ask it a far deeper follow up question about about a relatively obscure opening system that I've fifty years pretty solid experience of playing (against both human and silicon) If I knew the references the model used to glean this, I would buy those books without hesitation. (I was under the impression I'd read them all - I clearly haven't) To top it all, this is what I got from the recommended follow-up: With the exception of one line that I don't play (until now, perhaps) this IS move by move, the opening strategy I've developed by trial and error over the last 30 years. I play a fair bit of online chess and never encountered anyone (within my recollection) who's played this system against me. It is rare, certainly at the modest level I regularly play in. I'm actually quite gobsmacked (technical term) by this. At least, it my lowly ratings status doesn't seem to be down to a poor choice of openings strategy as white.
-
What Emily Lime prefers
Twi is an indigenous lingua franca used across much of Ghana. 'Falala' as both concept and given name has been widely exported, even unto Yorubaland. ...and osteopaenia 😉. Palindromicity, is enough of a constraint, I think. However, too much linguistic diversity may leave Emily confused as to just how many amphibian poachers were detained in the swamps of East Netherlands region: Twente nein Eft Act arrests - err at Cat Fen i.e. net newt. ChatGPT almost gets this except it has to be told that dialect variant 'eft' is the OE root of 'newt' (via 'an eft'/'a neft')
-
What Emily Lime prefers
To pet animal as I see, bro, fava for bees is a laminate pot. (actually wanted to use 'Falala' - being born into abundance - rather than 'fava', but I guess you have a rule against using Twi 🙀) Could I slip it in as a misspelling of Valhalla? That would work (frawd!!!).
-
What Emily Lime prefers
So was I: the dwarf planet, Eris, and its moon, Dysnomia. And then there is the subtext of their roles in Greek Mythology: Eris (strife) and Dysnomia (lawlessness, bad government). Too esoteric?
-
What Emily Lime prefers
Well you gave me the Eris-Dysnomia system, leading inexorably to Roy Batty's Which became a 'pastel battle moot' (OE: meeting), with C-beams aimed at Syd. Naturally, my own personal involvement would limited to melting the tablet sap necessary to fuel the attack ships. Makes (satisfyingly surreal if not absurd) sense to me. Don't see what else I could do with it really given your subject matter and your constraints 🥺 Adhering to the mandatory rules of grammar, punctuation, and form clearly parallel the time reversible Dirac formalism. The rest is absurd. Just run with it.
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
True, but there are a class of activities that centre on exploring complex structures built from sets of fundamental units that seem to share much common mental real estate: Word games (the alphabet) Chess (the pieces) Music (the harmonic series) Bridge (deck of cards) Maths (the integers) Particle Physics (the standard model) Chemistry (the elements) Cooking (basic ingredients) Computing (the set of logical operations) Minecraft (the building blocks) If someone is skilled at any one of these, hearsay has it that they are at least likely to have an aptitude for some of the others. The symmetries inherent in one tend to repeat in odd places among the others with only minor tweaks. Does the sound and spelling of a phoneme have a direct causal relationship with the wave/particle duality of a photon? Probably not, but there is a shared symmetry in there that just helps gain a foothold...
-
What Emily Lime prefers
Eris-Dysnomia pastel battle moot! I too melt tablet sap! Aim on Syd, sire!
-
Cryptic Crossword Clues
Let's give this a bash and see how it goes. Maybe have a quick look at Cryptic Crossword in lieu of hard and fast setting rules for now. Self set preferred but lifts from other sources permissible if source given. Easy one for starters. Paul can't see performing seal (11) (Hidden answers please)
-
What Emily Lime prefers
And another lovely little thinker's tale of his final journey: Delia set arc Osiris sailed to t'deli as, Sir, I, Socrates ailed.
-
What Emily Lime prefers
Eva asks what is "fair to middling" in Greek: Synonym, Eva. Can I put unto Plato (total pot nut up in a cave) my nonys?
-
What Emily Lime prefers
Rising to the challenge, Emily whips out 'arry's bottle: Go draw sun, Aristotle, do! Model tot's Iran/US war, dog!
-
What Emily Lime prefers
... and hears the lament of homesick sweat bees: Masai Nomia duet/solo to go to Togo; to lost eudaimonia, Sam.
-
What Emily Lime prefers
... and suspects archaeological team may have been hallucinating. Amen, Elisabeta! I posit Peking is no yeti site. Yon sign I kept is opiate basil enema.
-
What unuseable waste comes from petroleum distillation and industrial processing ?
Three mandatory requirements for this: clear, technically precise and well-informed legislation; rigorous independent monitoring; eye-watering punishment of defaulters. In today's political climate, don't hold your breath...
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
A Rocky Horror Picture Show crossover version of Snakes and Ladders, Parquet and Come Dancing? Ticks all my boxes 🥸
-
What unuseable waste comes from petroleum distillation and industrial processing ?
We should also mention BS&W (Basic Sediment & Water) which is mainly removed in upstream production operations, but still contaminates commercial crude shipments typically at the level ~0.2%. In theory, even this material could be processed further into clean, reusable resources. In practice, it tends to be 'quietly disposed of'. Afterthought: 0.2% may not sound very much, but in a 4 million barrel crude shipments it's knocking on 1,000 metric tonnes.
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
I watched a few episodes of the first series over thirty years ago when it was hosted by Richard O'Brien. My children seemed to enjoy it at the time. This conversation is beginning to rot my brain. Have to go now. Nice meeting you!
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
Nothing remotely natural about it. It's called "escapism" because that's what it is: an escape from reality. How much time do you spend watching television?
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
In what strange universe do you believe that shows like 'Crystal Maze' teach you anything about how to live a worthwhile life out in the real world?
-
Is raising one's IQ as fun as it sounds
A life well-lived is its own reward, not just for oneself but also for those around you. High IQ cannot achieve this on its own, but is a facet of developing strong cognitive abilities which definitely do help in formulating and achieving one's personal goals more easily. More important, though, is the manner in which you live your life. Behaving in such a way as to form and maintain positive connections with those around you, and so forth. Intelligence can help here too, but in general it is a different type of intelligence. Another crucial factor is developing the emotional strength to maintain a positive attitude and act in an authentic manner especially in times of adversity. Please read that last paragraph again, carefully this time, as I don't believe that IQ (however you define it) is the real issue emerging from your OP.