Skip to content

sethoflagos

Senior Members

Everything posted by sethoflagos

  1. I'm guessing that these cities are not dyed in the wool Republican strongholds. Or maybe not uniformly WASPish? Sounds rather like wishful thinking... some dotard letting slip the quiet stuff out loud.
  2. Integration of regenerative braking with anti-lock cadence braking? Especially with one pedal EVs in urban driving where the vehicle is continually switching between ecceleration and deceleration.
  3. Just throwing up some ideas to consider. Here's another. Generations of drivers have grown up with learning how to drive cars with inherent understeer due, at least in part, for front-engined ICs to have more weight acting on the front wheels than the back, particularly as they decelerate into a turn. Now they have to learn how to handle a vehicle with more neutral steering characteristics and a 'twitchy back end' Google 'motion sickness in rear-engined vehicles' and you'll find a lot of references going back many decades. Again, passenges in the rear seats especially are subject to mismatches between physical motion and visual cues leading to dizziness and nausea. Counter-steering in an oversteering condition is a learnt, somewhat counterintuitive response, so why should we not expect some passengers to have a rough time while inexperienced drivers get the hang of it? Some idea of the driving skills involved (at least in a racing scenario) can be seen on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5leWLp65I
  4. In addirion EVs are typically ~25% heavier and have a much lower CoG located centrally between the wheels rather than being dominated by the CoG of a combustion engine. In many respects, this is a chassis designer's dream as the vehicle suffers much less body roll during cornering, acceleration and braking, providing improved road-holding and increasing driver confidence when manoeuvring at speed. Everything one might want if you're a racing driver (except for the increased weight) Chief impact on the suspension is a requirement for relatively stiffer spring rates and firmer rebound damping, which is going to transfer more higher frequency vibrations (road surface imperfections etc) into the cabin. From a passenger point of view, the higher sprung weight can offset some of the harshness of the firm suspension particularly on low frequency road undulations. However, the inherent reduced body roll of the cabin does not apply to the passenger, since they are held in place only by a sealt belt (if that). Any change in velocity is likely to result in a greater shift of body position relative to the cabin, and impact their sense of balance. I understand that the link between impaired balance and feelings of nausea is fairly well established. This is where I would look. Not that I'm an expert, but I've dabbled in chassis design a bit at times.
  5. Following what has been widely reported as the most impressive speech made by a British Prime Minister this century, Andy Burnham has seen a positive and immediate response to reopening the Brexit debate by both France and Spain.
  6. Professor Tim Wilson takes the opportunity provided by a recent botched execution to reexamine the morality of state-sanctioned capital punishment.
  7. Lots of interesting work currently going on at the base of crown group Metazoa. The YT channel Life through Time focuses (mainly) on pre-mesozoic palaeontology through the perspective of Joseph Botting, a leading researcher in the field. He presents not just the raw material but also a (usually) highly digestible step-by-step guide through his analytical processes. I find it fascinating.
  8. Not only the French. The 'Historical Inaccuracies' sections of the wikis for the following 'Historical Drama' films are revealing: Argo (2012) U-571 (2000) Obective, Burma! (1945) Naturally, this list could have been much longer, but these give the general gist.
  9. The OP video mentions Grundrisse which contains a well-known section "Fragment on Machines" It's pushing it to suggest that Marx foresaw AI, but his prediction of the main structural effects are very interesting: The Inversion of Living and Objectified Labour - the machine becomes the dominant subject; the worker a mere appendage. The Alienation and Expropriation of Knowledge - the machine becomes the physical embodiment of "General Intellect"; the worker is stripped of intellectual autonomy. Systematic Deskilling and Loss of Autonomy - complex labour skills are broken down into simple repetitive mechanical operation; the worker is deskilled and wages fall. The Paradox of Automation - instead of liberating humanity from drudgery, automation is weaponised to create a surplus of unemployed to drive down wages. Some of this sounds very prescient to today's ear, though at the time Marx was primarily considering the decline in craftsmanship rather than more academic pursuits. However, elsewhere he also predicted the ultimate readsorption of the Professional and Managerial Class (PMC) back into the mass of the Proletariat, and that definitely does now appear to loom on the horizon. Scary. Of course, you'd get a more authoritative response from a fully qualified Marxist rather than the muddled counter-revolutionary revisionism of a mere social democrat like yours truly. Found this on YT. Sounds like the comrades.
  10. sethoflagos replied to iNow's topic in Politics
    Probably totally un-PC of me to have laughed out loud at that
  11. Only due half an hour of type-setting!
  12. via VPN/Nigerian access:
  13. But it does make sense, doesn't it? I went to Switzerland once, took a wrong turn, and quickly found myself travelling on a ski bob at 40+ mph downhill through a pine forest. If you live somewhere like that, I think you're likely to value life more highly than many.
  14. Thank you for your kind words, and my sympathies for your medical issues. The same could be said for a number of individuals on this site. The issue is more of whether and how one chooses to deal with it. For a number of reasons, I've held Aristotle close to my heart for a long time. His work on general argument and discourse is timeless. I find that reminding myself of its essential elements is sometimes helpful. This is more of a cultural style. In my background there was perhaps more encouragement to keep one's powder dry for both politeness sake and also strategic reasons. In the days that I took these pursuits seriously I found that at both the bridge table and the chess board, a strong opponent who underestimated me put himself at an unnecessary disadvantage. Aristotle has something to say on this too. The rest of your post is personal and I can't comment specifically. For myself, I find it important to be very wary of post hoc rationalisation. The better you are at it, the harder it can bite you on the bum down the line.
  15. Is there any reasonable argument against this framing? Seems a lot more convincing than anything currently coming out of the tech industry.
  16. Damien Walter equates Enclosure, the historic forced appropriation by the wealthy and powerful of traditional rights of access and usage of common lands to the current appropriation by the capitalist tech giants of the rights of access and usage of global knowledge through the proferation of LLMs and associated infrastructure. Her renames AI as 'Collective Intelligence' to emphasise that the product being marketed to us is our own collective knowledge base and that of our predecessors, processed and filtered as if it were industrialised food production. ChatGPT is People echoes Charlton Heston's anguished cry at the end of the 1973 dystopian epic Soylent Green. I found it a powerful statement.
  17. Every 1st year Chem Eng student learns the known scope of applicability of the N-S equations: I'm sure it's written down formally somewhere (therefore accessible to LLMs), but from the dusty recesses of my gut recollectiom: Okay, found one version of it from MIT at The Limits of Navier-Stokes theory and kinetic extensions for describing small-scale gaseous hydrodynamics Near enough.
  18. Quiet and blue Like the skylark dung over you
  19. Okay, I'm going to bite here. Somebody has offered a possible solution to (AN IDEALISED CASE OF ONE OF THE) Navier-Stokes (SMOOTHNESS) problems. Please forgive the capitalisations but without the extra words, some innocent fellow might be lead into believing that we were referring to a general solution to the Navier-Stokes equations. In context, the smoothness problem is akin to the fractal coastline problem: prove that triangulation of the mean HWM length of the British coatline tends to infinity for a sufficiently short measuring stick. Solving this doesn't mean you've solved Earth Science in general. In which universe are we supposed to find an incompressible fluid? The maths might be interesting... useful even. But of any use to those for whom Navier-Stokes are a tool for use in the real world? Doubt it.
  20. Yesterday's batch isn't noticeably bubbling after 24 hours, though a thin pellicle has begun to form so something is amiss. I've added a fresh bit of yeast to try and get it going, though I'm betting I'll likely have to do a full sterile reset. See how it goes. I haven't been getting full stoichiometric alcohol converion, I think. Maybe 3'5% or so, but that's a guess. Should really get myself a hydrometer sometime. I like quite a tart drink anyway, and put the acidity down to a bit of lactic fermentation (which I've actively encouraged). As I said earlier, I've seen something suspiciously vinegar fly-ish loitering around so perhaps it's no surprise if one or two found a way in. I've been zonked out a bit the last few weeks with a couple of malaria attacks, so I've put off bottling when I've not felt up to it. I'm thinking that leaving the brew in the demijohn when the fermentation rate has dropped off probably negates my CO2 flush protection argument. Works only at a particular level of laziness perhaps.
  21. Yes, it's a translucent white surface pellicle a uniform couple of millimetres thick with a smooth, silicone-like texture. Quite tough - it takes some effort to tear. The rest of the brew is 'normal' and homogenous. Actually thought about @StringJunky 's 'mother of vinegar' proposal overnight. If the rate of conversion to acetic acid was slowish, then the 10-14 day process needn't get anywhere near completion to still fit his idea. May work in a 'slightly aerobic environment too. But then the beast is rather on the bulky side.
  22. Not absolutely oxygen free, but it's well-flushed with a lot of CO2, and, at risk of repeating myself, I'm not drinking 5% vinegar 🙂 Yes, my inorganic chemistry is reasonably okay. Fake news. I've only been held hostage once and that was back in 2002.
  23. I'm not yet getting the vinegar though, at least not noticeably. On reading up on AABs, I notice that the anaerobic Zymomonas mobilis is another possibility. As this is an important feature of palm wine fermentation hereabouts, it ticks a couple of boxes (ambient temperature, local endemicity etc.) in addition to the lack of vinegariness (if that's a word). Just opened tonight's bottle and did a sniff test for H2S. Not obvious, but a long apprenticeship in the paper industry nuked a lot of my sensitivity to that one.
  24. I guess 'Morphology' is as good a place as any for this. I've had my ginger beer production line on the go moreorless continuously for nearly a year now. It's a simple process - 500g 'raw' cane sugar dissolved in a warmed pan of water, plus 50g of well-steeped sliced root ginger and juice of two lemons, both strained, and left to cool. Bottle 5L of the last fermented batch from a tapped glass demijohn, then add the cooled fresh wort to the dregs, add water to fill and leave to ferment for 5 days or so. Now and then, a good wash through and restart with fresh yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 Saccharomyces cerevisiae ex bayanus - a commercial champagne yeast). After a couple of previously discussed teething issues associated with undesirable additives in the sugar, no real issues. A mildly alcoloholic thirstquencher to see me off to the land of Nod each night. Then instead of the usual mucky froth on top of last week's batch, I got a smooth, gelatinous mat that I presumed to be a possible SCOBY, which I binned. Today's batch ;; same thing, but this time I've taken samples for experimentation (leaving a good part in the demijohn with the new fermentation batch). AFAIK a traditional Ginger Beer Plant contains S. florentinus and Lactobacillus hilgardii plus (possibly) an acetic acid bacterium (AAB) which I'd really prefer not to have. Though I have spotted the odd suspicious looking tiny midge fluttering around the demijohn. Not actually noticed any significant change in taste yet, so I'm quite puzzled as to what exactly is going on.
  25. sethoflagos replied to iNow's topic in Politics
    ... or the ability to speak in parables?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.