Ben Carson

Tampitump

As has been stated, The Big Bang is about how the universe got to be the way it is now, and what it was like going back to the earliest time that we have evidence for. There's currently no consensus on what exactly created those initial conditions.

There are some ideas, but they are largely highly speculative rather than being part of any serious cosmological theory.

Science has so far not uncover ANYTHING that require(d) supernatural intervention. To the contrary, the concept of God has been reduced to said singularity as well as the origin of the very first cell. In both cases there are numerous probable natural explanations.

Adding: Also, incidentally, the official position of the Pope and Catholic Church is that there is no conflict between Christianity and evolution. That's more of an Evangelical thing than a general Christian thing.

We discussed this before. Notwithstanding the RCC's official stance on the matter, evolution and their own dogma are contradictory to one another.

I gave the example of Carson thinking that God might need a global catastrophe like climate change in order to fulfill prophecy from the Bible. I remember thinking how close Sarah Palin got to "doing God's will" with her finger on the button, confident it would all work out to His plan.

I don't think our leaders should be using faith to steer the country. To me, faith should be the backup plan of last resort, after you've used up your second-to-last resort, hope.

The first paragraph above highlights the danger of religious fanatics. Faith should not enter the fray. It is intrinsically skewed.

Religiosity in doctors seems much higher than for scientists: this survey puts the figure at 76% for doctors, whereas this survey has 52% of scientists believing in god or some higher power. Hate comparing isolated and heterogeneous surveys but couldn't find a survey that has doctors and scientists together - anyone know of some?

Science has so far not uncover ANYTHING that require(d) supernatural intervention. To the contrary, the concept of God has been reduced to said singularity as well as the origin of the very first cell. In both cases there are numerous probable natural explanations.

We discussed this before. Notwithstanding the RCC's official stance on the matter, evolution and their own dogma are contradictory to one another.

The first paragraph above highlights the danger of religious fanatics. Faith should not enter the fray. It is intrinsically skewed.

I didn't say that science had found anything that required a supernatural explanation. But that still doesn't make the actual origin of the universe's existence part of the Bug Bang Theory, nor does it make abiogenesis part of the theory of evolution. Objecting to either theory on those grounds is technically incorrect.

^ I was commenting on your post in its context, i.e. as a response to a previous post, and merely pointing out that there is no (scientific or other) reason to insert a God into the gaps. And I agree 100% with:

Objecting to either theory on those grounds is technically incorrect.

I go back to the old faithful...switch the God of Abraham with Zeus or Thor and the conversation becomes clearly silly to just about anyone. Stick with the God of Abraham and people treat it as thought its a legit conversation to be having. Bertrand Russell pretty much made the case for atheism with his tea pot argument, and that's really where the discourse has to stop in my view. Beyond that you are just treading in empty space with absolutely NOTHING to go on.

I go back to the old faithful...switch the God of Abraham with Zeus or Thor and the conversation becomes clearly silly to just about anyone. Stick with the God of Abraham and people treat it as thought its a legit conversation to be having. Bertrand Russell pretty much made the case for atheism with his tea pot argument, and that's really where the discourse has to stop in my view. Beyond that you are just treading in empty space with absolutely NOTHING to go on.

So you say. That would still be an opinion.

Please tell me when humanity discovered how the first cell was made. I and so many others are quite interested. Tell me, and my faith will be shattered.

One of the only things I don't believe in is The Big Bang

So you don't believe in one of the most easily demonstrable things?

Please tell me when humanity discovered how the first cell was made.

God of the gaps. Replace whatever god you believe in with some other god like Poseidon or Isis and you'll see how resorting to god as an explanation in the face of scientific-ignorance doesn't work. We are all interested in knowing these questions that will likely never conclusively be answered, doesn't mean we resort to plugging in gods or supernatural causes when there's absolutely no reason or justification for doing so.

Edited by Tampitump

God of the gaps. Replace whatever god you believe in with some other god like Poseidon or Isis and you'll see how resorting to god as an explanation in the face of scientific-ignorance doesn't work. We are all interested in knowing these questions that will likely never conclusively be answered, doesn't mean we resort to plugging in gods or supernatural causes when there's absolutely no reason or justification for doing so.

Actually, if it was simply a mix a chemicals as they say, then it should only be a matter of time before they recreate the conditions and you make life. Unless your wrong.

Actually, if it was simply a mix a chemicals as they say, then it should only be a matter of time before they recreate the conditions and you make life. Unless your wrong.

http://phys.org/news/2014-12-scientists-re-create-life.html

Scientists in a lab used a powerful laser to re-create what might have been the original spark of life on Earth. The researchers zapped clay and a chemical soup with the laser to simulate the energy of a speeding asteroid smashing into the planet. They ended up creating what can be considered crucial pieces of the building blocks of life.

IMHO Ben carson is either stupid or deceitful, since he is a politician, and a republican politician at that I think deceitful is more likely....

Yes, i agree only a matter of time, millions of years and trillions of labs...

One of the only things I don't believe in is The Big Bang, at least the cause of it anyways. God could have simply made the universe that way, I don't know. Evolution, Climate change(How the heck, is that even related to religion??), among other things everybody thinks Christians don't believe.

Reality is not predicated on belief, I do not believe there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, not because I have searched all rainbows but because there is not only no evidence of a pot of gold but no reason to think there is one other than what someone claims...

Why would that matter to a belief in God? If a God does exist, I would find it exceedingly more plausible, given what we do know about how the world works, that he/she/it would simply set up the rules of the universe so that live develops as part of the whole thing unfolding that that they'd set up the environment according to those rules and then reach down with godly fingers and plop the first cell, which also follows all of the exact same rules that the rest of the environment does, into the primordial ocean and then let things go back to progressing from there.

It seems oddly inelegant to have to edit the universe by hand after the fact just to insider something that doesn't operate according to any different rules anyway.