Aberration in Michelson Morley Experiment

Hi. I just made an animation of Aberration (aka tilting of the telescope) in the Michelson Morley experiment. The aim of the animation is to illustrate these quotes:

"It may be remarked that the rays ba1 and ca1, do not now meet exactly in the same point a1, though the difference is of the second order;"

-- Michelson, 1887 paper.

The ray sa is reflected along ab, fig. 2; the angle bab1 being equal to the aberration =a, is returned along ba1, (aba1 =2a), and goes to the focus of the telescope, whose direction is unaltered. The transmitted ray goes along ac, is returned along ca1, and is reflected at a1, making ca1e equal 90—a, and therefore still coinciding with the first ray. It may be remarked that the rays ba1 and ca1, do not now meet exactly in the same point a1

Any comments?

And what is the point of discussion here? Posting just to show videos that you made is a violation of rule 2.7.

I was hoping someone would comment on this: ""It may be remarked that the rays ba1 and ca1, do not now meet exactly in the same point a1, though the difference is of the second order;"" The animation I made shows that the transverse ray does not meet at the same point on the splitter when it returns due to aberration. This is not in accordance with relativity. I thought someone would notice that. Also the telescope tilt, tan(q)=v/c gives a velocity potential.

"If now it were legitimate to conclude from the present work that the ether is at rest with regard to the earth's surface, according to Lorentz there could not be a velocity potential, and his own theory also fails." - Michelson, 1887 paper.

Prof. Strawman

PS. 1. Velocity potential = The ability to discern one's own velocity.

PS. 2. I wasn't trying to advertise my video. I am looking for feedback.

Edited by Professional Strawman

Anyone?

"The ray sa is reflected along ab, fig. 2; the angle bab1 being equal to the aberration =a, is returned along ba1, (aba1 =2a), and goes to the focus of the telescope, whose direction is unaltered. The transmitted ray goes along ac, is returned along ca1, and is reflected at a1, making ca1e equal 90—a, and therefore still coinciding with the first ray. It may be remarked that the rays ba1 and ca1, do not now meet exactly in the same point a1It may be remarked that the rays ba1 and ca1, do not now meet exactly in the same point a1, though the difference is of the second order;"

-- Michelson, 1887

Anyone disagrees that these angles were not observed by, Michelson?

!

Moderator Note

Either make a post with a sensible question for the membership or move on to another topic please. The minutiae of an experiment carried out many years ago and - more importantly - repeated with significant improvements to the methodology and metrology do not immediately make for an interesting discussion, they are not easily accessible, nor do they seem to be controversial.

Please try to spell out an argument which flows from your perceived inaccuracies in MM, goes through the hypothesis which explains the contrary results, and then try to formulate a model and thence experiment to bolster idea. The argument should not rely on youtube videos

No need to respond to this moderation within the thread

"The ray sa is reflected along ab, fig. 2; the angle bab1 being equal to the aberration =a, is returned along ba1, (aba1 =2a), and goes to the focus of the telescope, whose direction is unaltered. The transmitted ray goes along ac, is returned along ca1, and is reflected at a1, making ca1e equal 90—a, and therefore still coinciding with the first ray. It may be remarked that the rays ba1 and ca1, do not now meet exactly in the same point a1It may be remarked that the rays ba1 and ca1, do not now meet exactly in the same point a1, though the difference is of the second order;""

-- Michelson, 1887

Question: The aberration angles that Michelson referred to, in the quote above, were they "fictitious" or were they "second order observations"?

.Can someone list out relativistic aberration angles at various mirrors in the MME? For eg, at the top mirror, Michelson wrote he observed, an angle, "2q". Given that the splitter is no longer at 45 degrees, what is the Relativity equivalent of this angle at the top mirror?

In the link below, page 3, formula (9). Can anyone confirm if this is a correct reflection formula?

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.0998.pdf

Edited by Professional Strawman