Adding or taking gluons from a proton

Gabe H

I have a random question, so what if you figured out a way to increase or decrease the number of gluons in a proton. Because gluons pull the quirks together, Would this have any offect or the proton and if so what would happen. My theory is that if your decreased the number of gluons in a proton than it would cause the proton to fall apart as radiation and if you increased the gluons than it would cause the proton to like fuse together or somthing. Also would there be a similar offect if you increased or decreased the number of mesons in a nuclious?

What is the number of gluons in a proton or neutron?

I think that this is not a well-posed question and I have no idea how to evaluate your question.

The gluons you are speaking of are virtual and there is no reason for them to be a a fixed number. Informally you should think of a 'boiling soup' virtual gluons in which the quarks sit in as the meat.

What if you got rid of the force that hold the protons together.

You would have free quarks ... but as the situation you describe is not really physical I am not sure we can say much more.

The closest situation I can imagine is a quark-gluon plasma. At high enough pressures and temperatures we could have a state of matter that consists of asymptotically free quarks and gluons.

Well, you should start from learning about gravitational redshift

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/gratim.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_redshift

and Pound-Rebka experiment / Harvard Tower Experiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-Rebka_experiment

As these are experiments showing what happens with photons due to gravitation.

Edited by Sensei

Well, you should start from learning about gravitational redshift

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/gratim.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_redshift

and Pound-Rebka experiment / Harvard Tower Experiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-Rebka_experiment

As these are experiments showing what happens with photons due to gravitation.

Yeah I don't see how gravitational red shift has to do with getting rid of gluons in a proton. Can you explain your reasoning behind tho more please Edited by Gabe H

In what circumstances proton would emit gluons, and decrease its quantity?
And in what circumstances proton would absorb gluons, and increase its quantity?
If quantity of emitted particles will be equal to absorbed, it'll be in equilibrium.

But if that would happen in different gravitational field,
then experiments like Pound-Rebka should be affected, no?
Object at higher altitude, will emit particles, but won't get enough of them back.

It could be extended to:

- what is rate of emitting particles (per second?)

- what is rate of absorbing particles (per second?)

If it's in seconds, then they obviously in different gravitation, will have slightly different rates, isn't?

Edited by Sensei

Can you have like a cold plasma somthing were its just the particles that build up atoms flouting freely without having to heat it to extreamly high temutures?

There are couple states of matter:

solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.

Plasma has lonely protons, and lonely electrons.

To turn gas to plasma,

there is needed energy from external source (or extreme pressure like in star).

For Hydrogen it's 13.6 eV per single atom.

Plasma emits photons, acquire electron, and turns to electric neutral gas,

neutral gas emits more energy (photons at lower energies),

and cool down to liquid, then further to solid.

"Extreme high temperatures" mentioned by you, keeps plasma in plasma state, to not turn it to other states of matter, and suddenly to solid state of matter.

Edited by Sensei

There are couple states of matter:

solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.

Plasma has lonely protons, and lonely electrons.

To turn gas to plasma,

there is needed energy from external source (or extreme pressure like in star).

For Hydrogen it's 13.6 eV per single atom.

Plasma emits photons, acquire electron, and turns to electric neutral gas,

neutral gas emits more energy (photons at lower energies),

and cool down to liquid, then further to solid.

"Extreme high temperatures" mentioned by you, keeps plasma in plasma state, to not turn it to other states of matter, and suddenly to solid state of matter.

The only reason why the plasma forms back into atoms when it cools down is because of the plasma and mesons. So if we were able to get rid of the gluons or mesons than would it carouse the atom to turn into a plasma type state and fall apart?

But if that would happen in different gravitational field,

The physics of the strong force will dominate over any background gravitational field for a wide range of energies - I think you would need extreme curvatures to get any real effect.

Also, as gluons are coloured we would not expect to see single gluons under 'normal' conditions. Another possibility is then the creation of glueballs (bound states of gluons with zero overall colour), but this is not exactly the process of removing gluons from a proton or neurtron.