would you drink this water?

DrDoggy

from link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18752822

some of the contents:

catechol, orthoquinone, muconic acid derivatives of BPA, benzoquinone and 2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)-propan-2-ol.
aliphatic acids or aldehydes,

quote:The formation of these latter products would not be favored under water treatment conditions.\\

are all these chems unsafe to be in drink water, or just the last 2?

do they say that (from quote) because of the wide range of contaminants in waste water?

would ozone work to treat my tap/bottled water for bsa?

thanks!

It always depends on the concentration. You have to know that especially mass spectrometry-based analyses have become so sensitive that we can see minute amounts of compounds. Often, but not always, these concentrations are of no consequence as it would just pass your body. Also compounds such as aldehydes are formed during normal metabolic processes in your body. The goal of treatment is often to change compounds that are potentially harmful in others that tend to be less bioreactive. For example compounds that are more water soluble and do not accumulate in adipose tissue.

But again, it is less a matter what is there, but how much.

the problem comes from that i want to keep water in rain barrels and cycle it with pvc pipes , so the bpa will accumulate from my plastics "leaching" I hope i am able to break it down with ozone to safer substances,

also would UV light work to break down the bpa?

Edited by DrDoggy

It seems I have misunderstood your question. But at least according to lit ozonation may be a potential way to treat the water. See also this paper here. Whether treatment is effective requires testing, though (and testing for bisphenol A may be worthwhile, as it would give insight on how of degradation products you may obtain after treatment. Direct photodegradation was not very effective, and combined treatment such as UV/O3 or UV/TiO2 were more successful.

It seems I have misunderstood your question. But at least according to lit ozonation may be a potential way to treat the water. See also this paper here. Whether treatment is effective requires testing, though (and testing for bisphenol A may be worthwhile, as it would give insight on how of degradation products you may obtain after treatment. Direct photodegradation was not very effective, and combined treatment such as UV/O3 or UV/TiO2 were more successful.

Would continuously aerating the reservoir(s) help?

yes, I am concerned about that, I guess I should elaborate, in my system there are also fish, plants and lots of aeration. will aeration alone be able to dissolve/dissipate this chemical?

I am using water grade pvc, but they mention not to let it sit in the sun, which is a flaw in my design, also why i am expecting to need to worry about BPA,

I realize o3 will kill the microbugs too, if need be i will isolate the water from the system for o3 sterilization and allow o3 to dissipate before reintroducing, but i won't be changing the ph too much, but my concern is the plant nutrients , will they decompose too in o3>?

... and again the by-products, but it sounds like there is little concern there.

some statistics I found were:

France set its safe level of BPA exposure at 0.0025 ppb per day ........... this would be ideal

European Union’s limit is 600 parts per billion of BPA per kilogram of food,..........prolly more feasible

and Japan’s limit is 2,500 ppb ...... too high for my comfort

... but i dont know what the rate of leakage is for pvc pipes , but since water is in closed loop circuit the contamination will be accumulative...

since uv light works, i already have one installed..... would that on its own be enough/a good idea?

Edited by DrDoggy

Aeration will not deal with obligate anaerobes. However, many bacteria and other parasites have not problem with it. UV is efficient for microbial treatment, but BPA has relatively low photodegradation rates that also depend on what else is in the water (such as radical scavangers, apparently).

One thing you could do is send a sample to a local water testing lab, running a sample should cost you less than $100. There are also home-test kits, but they mostly only test qualitatively, not quantit6atively.

Because blowing air- which has bacteria laden dust in it- through the water will increase the bug count?

OK. What about just having an outlet pipe just above the surface that goes back into the supply- recirculate it.?

OK. What about just having an outlet pipe just above the surface that goes back into the supply- recirculate it.?

Why bother?

Rain water was never anything but near saturated with oxygen. You plan to run ozone through it- which will decompose to oxygen.

How much air do you think you can add?

I have ordered a test kit, I also have this water pumped full of oxygen even prior to ozoneation,

-- i am not worried about killing / or not killing bacteria

but I worry that the ozone will break down plant nutrients ....?

I also worry that the by-products of bpa ozoneation will be toxic......but maybe i dont need to worry, will these chems evaporate out with aeration, will the BPA? is that what you are trying to say Junkie?

also another question, would it help if i pretreated the plastic with heavy does of o3 , would that draw out the BPA, or would it more likely dissolve the whole pipe to nothing?

Edited by DrDoggy