Are you sure....I mean absolutly, one hundred percent sure, that empty space is not a myth

Mitch Bass

Particle/Antiparticle Pairs come into existence and vanish very quickly - they are a fluctuation that shouldn't happen according to classical physicals but must happen according to quantum field theory.

Classically we can remove everything from space (the classical vacuum) - but this is a approximate situation as you will always have blackbody photons, and quantum field fluctuations. Even in a toy universe with no matter and no radiation you will still have pairs popping into existence - a zero point energy

You have observation of this pair process?

You say a void empty of everything does not exist, what then do you propose is left if we could remove all the matter from a volume of space?

Neutrinos and photons are passing through empty space all the time.

There is flying approximately 65 bln of neutrinos (from Sun) per cm^2 area of Earth per second.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_neutrino

Meaning space is a field according to some, I believe space is made of nothing.

"According to some" - that's rather nebulous. Who, exactly? Nobody in this thread, AFAICT. Space is permeated by fields, but the repeated observation here is that space is not a thing, and so saying what it's made of is nonsensical.

"According to some" - that's rather nebulous. Who, exactly? Nobody in this thread, AFAICT. Space is permeated by fields, but the repeated observation here is that space is not a thing, and so saying what it's made of is nonsensical.

My apologies I have been 'mislead' and was arguing fields occupy space. Fyi you are also incorrect, space is something, it is space.

Moontanman

Genius

• photo-thumb-8483.jpg?_r=1401640496
  • Senior Members
  • 9,532 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern North Carolina

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

JohnLesser, on 25 Mar 2017 - 3:56 PM, said:snapback.png

I have still not heard anything mentioned that suggests space is made of anything?

Fields occupy space ?

Yes, they actually are space and everything else..

That's just a name, though. How much do you have when you have zero?

I do not believe there could ever be 0 space, how can you think that space is nothing when the unique property of space is dimensions?

I think space is made of 0.

So a physical object is not three-dimensional?

I think that might be a language problem. My guess is, he meant "the only property of space is dimensions" which, although oddly phrased, I think I would agree with.

I think that might be a language problem. My guess is, he meant "the only property of space is dimensions" which, although oddly phrased, I think I would agree with.

I probably would, too. But it's obviously not a property unique to space.

So a physical object is not three-dimensional?

It's actually four dimensional , why would you think I said it was not?

I probably would, too. But it's obviously not a property unique to space.

An unique property of space, not to space.

Well quite clearly you understood so the problem with understanding is not how I worded it.

Thank you for your agreement, "the only property of space is dimensions"

If "things" have properties other than dimensions, then space is not a "thing"

If "things" have properties other than dimensions, then space is not a "thing"

Something,anything, its seems you are in disagreement over definition rather than the observation. Do you not observe space ?

Something,anything, its seems you are in disagreement over definition rather than the observation. Do you not observe space ?

No, I have never observed space. The only way to personally observe it is to bounce a photon off of it. Can you bounce a photon off of space?

Indirect observation methods involve similar procedures.

No, I have never observed space. The only way to personally observe it is to bounce a photon off of it. Can you bounce a photon off of space?

Indirect observation methods involve similar procedures.

You don't need your eyes to observe space, do you have the ability to move freely?

Photons can't bounce off nothing.

Edited by JohnLesser

You don't need your eyes to observe space, do you have the ability to move freely?

Yes, to some extent, which is completely consistent with space not being a thing, especially one that restricts my movement.

Yes, to some extent, which is completely consistent with space not being a thing, especially one that restricts my movement.

I never suggested space is a thing of physicality, but it is ''something'' of nothing , having dimensions but no physical body.

Your yes answer confirming I and your relative observation of ''free'' space.

How can empty space be a myth when we can imagine taking away everything we observe except the space?

Edited by JohnLesser

I'm hesitant to get back into this one, but I can't help noting other situations where we label physical things using coordinates. I can note that a hot object and a cold object have a "temperature separation," but I don't think that "the temperature scale" has an innate physical existence. Green and red are of different frequencies, but "the frequency scale" doesn't have an innate physical existence. Same with heavy and light objects re: "the weight scale," and so on. It really seems to me that spatial coordinates are just labels we give things that we've found useful. The difference is that we're our brains have a different way of presenting spatial separation. Our vision sense just "works in a different way" from our senses of touch or hearing.

The things we perceive as "occupying space" have relationships amongst themselves which our senses have evolved to perceive, and our science has been developed to express. I think it's those relationships that are real, irrespective of the sensory structures and analytical tools we use in connection with them. "Empty space" is just what we perceive when there is nothing there to attach that range of coordinates to. It's a creation of our mind, tied tightly to the nature of vision, and it just so happens that our other senses don't operate in a way that gives us that same "it's there but empty" message.

Please don't take this as denying the whole virtual particle thing - I'm very aware that we believe space is foaming everywhere with "events," but I'm not qualified to enter into that part of the discussion with you.

Edited by KipIngram