Fighting outdoor humidity, exhaust or intake?

lucagrabacr

This might sounds weird, but I'm planning to carry or stitch some battery-powered PC case fans inside my jacket to fight the heat outdoor.

I live in Indonesia and the air humidity level is always high for most part of the country, and it makes outdoor activities almost impossible to enjoy, except for the first quarter of the day and the evening, or during cloudy days.

My question is, should I set the fans as exhaust, intake, or exhaust-intake setup? And should the exhaust points upward or downward? Thanks.

Since the fans actually heat the air, and you don't want to blow that hot air at yourself, it's better to have them blow out.

Since the chimney effect will tend to make the air rise it's probably bets to have the fans work with it rather than against it and have them blow the air up.

Also, for best results, don't wear a jacket.

Since the fans actually heat the air, and you don't want to blow that hot air at yourself, it's better to have them blow out.

Since the chimney effect will tend to make the air rise it's probably bets to have the fans work with it rather than against it and have them blow the air up.

Also, for best results, don't wear a jacket.

Alright, I'll set them so they blow the air up then :)

Well, even if I'm not wearing a jacket it still feels pretty hot outside, and I think a jacket will conceal the fans better compared to a plain shirt lol.

You say you want to be able to do outdoor activities in high humidity, but which activities are you talking about? You'll be wearing a jacket made heavier by batteries and fans, how active can you be? Will you be doing sports like jogging? You don't want something too restrictive when you want to be active.

Winters can be cold where I am, but if I dress too warmly I can't bend over to put my snowshoes on. ;)

When your feet are hot, put on a hat. :lol:

solar-powered20fan20cap.jpg?w=137source

This would work for me. If I get a breeze on my face, it distracts me from how hot the rest of me is.

I liked the evaporative cooling hat concept on that same Red Cross page, Acme. I think that would work best, but the fan would give me immediate relief.

• 2 months later...

Jacket, with hood, wind resistant, sun blocking material. The jacket is worn with the sleeves secured close around the wrists, tied close around the waist, and with the hood opening pulled close around the face. It would be good to have a hood with a built in sun visor. It may be necessary to secure the waist of the jacket to pants.

Fan and power in a box at the waist such that the fan blows air into a flexible hose, or multiple hoses. The hose(s) directs air inside the jacket, perhaps at the small of the back.

The jacket inflates when the fan is turned on. This separates the jacket from the skin to increase its shading effectiveness. The air exits through the small gaps at waist, wrists, and face. The moving air is thus kept close to the skin and blows out over exposed skin areas. Wearing a cotton t-shirt under the jacket is recommended.

This system allows much freedom of movement and efficient use of the fan blown air. With this inflated jacket, you should be able to keep cool up to quite high humidity. At 100% humidity, it will not help.

Unfortunately, you may feel cool, but you will not be seen as cool. More of a clown effect at first glance. Be prepared to explain yourself often. Convince others by letting them try it out in the hot sun.

Other negatives may include: wind in your eyes, noise of blown air interfering with hearing things around you, reduction of peripheral vision, increased snagging.

Please tell us how it works out.