Ketones in urine

RoseHip

If ketones are showing in urine, does this mean protein, not fat is being metabolized? What is the reason ketones would be present if there was adequate fat intake? Carbs were low in the diet at the time, but I'm trying to make sense of the protein vs. fat scenario.

Sugar was not an issue in the urine at the time of high ketones. I was told by a physician that most teenagers will test positive with ketones after not much food intake and after hours of exertion from sports, but I was concerned about a toddler. Is this true?

Upon starving conditions in which there are no more carbohydrates (glycogen) for the glycolytic pathway, your body will first metabolize fat (gluconeogensis) first then protein, with the latter resulting in ketone bodies (very bad).

Edited by RoseHip

If ketones are showing in urine, does this mean protein, not fat is being metabolized?

It indicates a significant breakdown of body fat. Through excessive (unhealthy) dieting, starvation and often through diabetes.

What is the reason ketones would be present if there was adequate fat intake?

It is an indicator of diabetes.

I was told by a physician that most teenagers will test positive with ketones after not much food intake and after hours of exertion from sports

They can burn an excessive amount of fat causing a positive indicator test.

I was concerned about a toddler.

Well has the toddler been eating adequately lately? Now babies can potentially have diabetes it is doubtful the toddler was tested yet. Note it could be something as simple as dehydration/diarrhoea or a tummy bug.

Edited by fiveworlds

It indicates a significant breakdown of body fat. Through excessive (unhealthy) dieting, starvation and often through diabetes.

It is an indicator of diabetes.

They can burn an excessive amount of fat causing a positive indicator test.

Well has the toddler been eating adequately lately? Now babies can potentially have diabetes it is doubtful the toddler was tested yet.

Child was screened for diabetes, that was not indicated as a cause. Doctor mentioned not a worry if there were high ketones if the child didn't eat for a few hours which was the case on one occasion when we tested positive. It was seen only a few times usually in the evening. Sugar came back as negative during the ketone state. There may be malaborption issues possible, but fat absorption test came back OK. Ketones showed up mid day once despite large bowl of carbohydrate rich oatmeal (no milk). I suspect generally it may have been low carbs, but I wonder if there are issues with metabolism? Child eats a lot, more than we think is normal for a toddler 3 years old.

Edited by RoseHip

The presence of excess ketones in the urine maybe indicate that there is insufficient carbohydrates in the diet. The liver can metabolise triglycerides ( fats) in the absence of glucose (from carbs) but the result can be a high ketone reading.

The presence of excess ketones in the urine maybe indicate that there is insufficient carbohydrates in the diet. The liver can metabolise triglycerides ( fats) in the absence of glucose (from carbs) but the result can be a high ketone reading.

Thanks, is this a dangerous state? Child is gaining weight fine, but there are developmental concerns. Also, if carbs are being eaten on a regular basis, but still ketones are showing up, what could this mean?

Thanks, is this a dangerous state? Child is gaining weight fine, but there are developmental concerns. Also, if carbs are being eaten on a regular basis, but still ketones are showing up, what could this mean?

My only contribution was that if a person was on a deliberate low-carb diet, that's not medically advised, then they should stop. There seems to be a fad with some people, thinking it's healthy. You should only take advice from qualified people, and I'm not, but the first sentence I mentioned is an obvious action to take, if it's relevant. Is your child on a vegan diet (no animal products)?

Edited by StringJunky

My only contribution was that if a person was on a deliberate low-carb diet, that's not medically advised, then they should stop. There seems to be a fad with some people, thinking it's healthy. You should only take advice from qualified people, and I'm not, but the first sentence I mentioned is an obvious action to take, if it's relevant. Is your child on a vegan diet (no animal products)?

No, there was a point where there were less carbs, but it wasn't where it was none, that's why it concerned me why the ketones would show up if there was carbs in the diet. Otherwise it's balanced with carbs being included almost every morning. A lot of meat is consumed though throughout the day, it's the preferred food. Wondering if a full diabetes test should be done, but given no sugar with the ketones, and a negative screen for it, it wasn't indicated to do so.

Edited by RoseHip

!

Moderator Note

Go see a doctor. This is not the place for medical advice.

Fiveworlds, please do not dispense such advice here. You are, as far as I know, not a doctor and even if you were, you have not examined the patient.

Edit: to be clear for other readers, the posts that have been made here should not be taken as any sort of medical advice.