Sharing a common problem

Hi guys

I'm convinced that there's a psychological term, or there should be, for some sort of amical bond, formed between a individuals in a group of people, all suddenly sharing a temporarily, serious problem, a common threat (think of hostages; or people at a bus stop witnessing a disaster or experiencing one (in this case, it's perhaps also interesting to notice that this group might stay toghether without forming the same bond with other 'groups' like this one; it's an instinctive thought I have, but I might be very wrong; cf. horror movies with zombie apocalypses and some groups of people still fighting each other); or people in a hijacked plane; or even less threatening, like people at a bus stop noticing that the bus isn't showing up, or people on a train all missing a train stop due to some sort of problem).

I'm convinced that after the threat is removed, the bond will be persistent. Of course, a bit less strong than with the threat being present, but still some sort of amical bond, stronger than between two unknowns.

Important to notice is that if you put 3 persons of which 2 with a very complementary personality and being amical with each other after a while, and the other person being a bit different, in a room, without threatening problem, not everyone in there will form the bond; whereas if there's a sudden threatening problem, everyone will form the bond. Well, that's what I expect there to happen.

Is there such term and perhaps even more importantly before asking about the existence of such term: is this phenomenon real? It's what I'd expect to be real, since I've experienced the last 2 examples. Is it perhaps an emotional reaction to bond with something familiar when experiencing something threatening or uncomfortable? I don't know... Perhaps you do?

Thanks!

F.

Edited by Function

Attachment theory is a psychological model that attempts to describe the dynamics of long-term interpersonal relationships between humans. However, "attachment theory is not formulated as a general theory of relationships. It addresses only a specific facet" (Waters et al. 2005: 81): how human beings respond within relationships when hurt, separated from loved ones, or perceiving a threat.[1]...

I think the effect is real and the best term I can come up with for it is this

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/blitz-spirit

though it seems a bit outdated

Seems not to be a psychological term as asked for.

Marvellous! Thanks guys! (Or guy and woman, don't want to be sexist ;) )

:lol: You're welcome. You can use a genderless term such as folks, as in 'thanks folks!" :) Edited by Acme