Zeolite

voultsi

Hello , first of all because i am not a scientist , therefore i don't have any related knowledge , i don't know if this thread is in the correct category.

I live near a mountain where it has a lot of zeolite and there have been extractions of it and it has been suggested by a friend of mine to keep a small rock of zeolite near my computer/TV station because it absorbs radiation . Actually yesterday he brought me some more rocks as there are plenty of it and he visits the mountain quiet often for walks and he told me that someone took some zeolite samples for testings at a lab in Germany and they found out that it absorbs a lot of radiation. My question is what kind of radiation zeolite absorbs and how effective it is ( if it is at all ) ?

If you think about this clearly: If we imagine radiation being emitted fro all around your equipment, how is a small piece of whatever substance going to draw the radiation to it? You would have to completely surround it with the Zeolite for it to protect you; if it could.. If you are using a modern TV/ monitor display the idea is moot anyway because only the visible-light frequency photons comes from your screen. The old CRT screens could emit a few beta rays I think.

Wikipedia

Shielding from gamma rays requires large amounts of mass, in contrast to alpha particles which can be blocked by paper or skin, and beta particles which can be shielded by foil. Gamma rays are better absorbed by materials with high atomic numbers and high density, although neither effect is important compared to the total mass per area in the path of the gamma ray. For this reason, a lead shield is only modestly better (20–30% better) as a gamma shield, than an equal mass of another shielding material such as aluminium, concrete, water or soil; lead's major advantage is not in lower weight, but rather its compactness due to its higher density. Protective clothing, goggles and respirators can protect from internal contact with or ingestion of alpha or beta emitting particles, but provide no protection from gamma radiation from external sources.

The three kinds of radiation are alpha, beta and gamma. Although, high speed ions, atoms and molecules can also damage tissue. I think zeolite would not be good at stopping radiation, except alpha an beta, because it is porous, like a sponge; thus, contains much air.

I just told my friend what you posted about zeolite not being useful and he told me that the Chernobyl nuclear power plant is covered with zeolite and that in the same way zeolite absorbs radioactive radiation , it can absorb radiation from electronic devices Also , the same friend -_- tells me that electromagnetic radiation is harmful , i don't want to defend him or something just trying to realize , i googled and found some articles : i.e. http://emwatch.com/computer-radiation-may-damage-your-health/ I dont know if i am allowed to post links ...

It's true that they used a lot of zeolites to bury the Chernobyl site.

But they used zeolites for the same reason that it is used as cat litter.

It soaks stuff up.

Any radioactive material will be stuck in a block of gravel and won't go anywhere.

There is a difference between stopping the spread of radioactive material (which any barrier will do) and blocking radiation.

The point is that, unless you bury your computer in the stuff, it won't do anything.

And yes, you can post links as long as you are not spamming us, but that link is to a site that's tryingt to make money by frightening people.

There's essentially no real scientific fact there.

Sorry about the site but i believe that it still expresses a fair point that a lot of sites also state , that computers and monitors can emit 'bad things' . Can this be true? . As i said i don't have any real scientific knowledge and i also don't try to be on someones side.

Sorry about the site but i believe that it still expresses a fair point that a lot of sites also state , that computers and monitors can emit 'bad things' . Can this be true? .

The simple answer is no.

There are broadly two groups who say other wise.

Those who are just lying in order to get money and those who were (for example) sat in front of a monitor a lot when, by coincidence, they fell ill.

Some folks just don't understand coincidence, so they think the monitor has something to do with their ill health.

I have some sympathy with the second group who are honestly mistaken.

If the first group all dropped dead tomorrow the world would be a better place.

I just told my friend what you posted about zeolite not being useful and he told me that the Chernobyl nuclear power plant is covered with zeolite and that in the same way zeolite absorbs radioactive radiation , it can absorb radiation from electronic devices Also , the same friend -_- tells me that electromagnetic radiation is harmful , i don't want to defend him or something just trying to realize , i googled and found some articles : i.e. http://emwatch.com/computer-radiation-may-damage-your-health/ I dont know if i am allowed to post links ...

Yes, it's true about electromagnetic radiation, which includes gamma rays, but my oversight. Electromagnetic include, gamma-rays, ultraviolet, x-rays, infra-red, microwaves, light, and radio waves. However, your TV does not emit harmful electromagnetic waves.

If you bury your TV in zeolite it will stop most electromagnetic radiation, emitted by your TV. However, it is not particularly effective for that purpose, especially for higher energy EMF such as gamma radiation. To attenuate EMF use a Faraday cage.

Sorry about the site but i believe that it still expresses a fair point that a lot of sites also state , that computers and monitors can emit 'bad things' . Can this be true? . As i said i don't have any real scientific knowledge and i also don't try to be on someones side.

Unless your cooling system uses liquid tritium as a coolant and it's leaking you probably shouldn't expect much radiation to come from your computer :P

If you're worried about radiation exposure so much the better option would be to encase your PC and your TV and most importantly, the microwave oven in leaded glass. It is transparent so you'll still see stuff but it would block even the gamma radiation to some extent. An even more efficient and cost-effective solution to radiation issues would be to encase yourself in a box of lead glass >:D But then you'll still have high-energy cosmic rays to deal with and a whole lot of neutrinos...

On a more serious note, that's how zeolite is used to absorb radiation:

Zeolites have uses in advanced reprocessing methods, where their micro-porous ability to capture some ions while allowing others to pass freely, allowing many fission products to be efficiently removed from nuclear waste and permanently trapped. Equally important are the mineral properties of zeolites. Their alumino-silicate construction is extremely durable and resistant to radiation even in porous form. Additionally, once they are loaded with trapped fission products, the zeolite-waste combination can be hot pressed into an extremely durable ceramic form, closing the pores and trapping the waste in a solid stone block. This is a waste form factor that greatly reduces its hazard compared to conventional reprocessing systems. Zeolites are also used in the management of leaks of radioactive materials. For example, in the aftermath of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, sandbags of zeolite were dropped into the seawater near the power plant to adsorb radioactive caesium which was present in high levels.

As you can see, it's just physical absorption of radioactive material, but it doesn't absorb radiation itself.