Viral Video Disproves Law Of Gravity

HawkingA

(Rule 2.7 requires you include more detail than a video link)

Without watching it, I can tell you it's wrong. The sheer weight of evidence that tells us gravity is correct says that. The issue (and a better wording for such a question) is what's going on that seems to defy gravity.

edit: given that you're watching someone's butt half the time, you can't see what they're doing and it's hard to analyze

The first hammer/ruler comb leaves the centre of mass of the system directly below the pivot point (much of the mass of the system is in the head of the hammer) - there is no torque about the point of contact in this case as there is no perpendicular distance between the line of the force and the axis.

The second hammer is faked somehow - either all glued and pinned, or little mass in the hammers. I had three axes and three cannonballs that might have been very similar - for juggling tricks; all identical to look at but with vastly different weights.

OT

You have one cast iron cannonball/normal axe/normal knife and two super light fakes - you juggle making it clear how how heavy they are, and for a finale you toss all three high, catch one, two and then let the third (the heavy one) thump menacingly into the ground in front of you; everyone notices the damage it caused to the ground and that you maybe aren't the best juggler. Apologize start again - all the same but this time you catch one(the heavy one), two, and then catch the last one by leaning forward and catching in the nape of your neck. Gasps all round.

I can balance a ruler on the end of a pencil. That doesn't mean gravity doesn't exist.

These are the kinds of claims that just make me mad.

"Hoho! Gravity is a myth."

"Great. I'll tell my car to stop sticking to the ground so obstinately then."

Seriously...wtf?

Edited by Greg H.

The first hammer/ruler comb leaves the centre of mass of the system directly below the pivot point (much of the mass of the system is in the head of the hammer) - there is no torque about the point of contact in this case as there is no perpendicular distance between the line of the force and the axis.

You also don't see it swinging after the second one is in place, like it's buttressed against something.