Vote Early - Vote Often!

imatfaal

This was my Grandmother's injunction every election day and I believe it has its origins in Ireland; it certainly has that wonderful unbalancing effect of many Irish aphorisms - you are not sure where the humour finishes and the seriousness begins.

Real reason for post was tag a couple of pretty disturbing articles concerning tomorrow's Election. For those not in USA - it is midterm elections for all of the house (likely to remain Rep) and enough of the senate to change from Dem to Rep. Here is a beeb jokey article about midterms and here is the wikipedia page

Here is a pretty chilling article summarizing some of the recent legal changes (Citizens United and neutering VRA65) that will have their first effect at these elections

When the Court dismantled our laws regulating money in politics and gutted core voting rights protections, we knew those decisions would have consequences. But only now are we seeing the full scope of their impact: a return to pre-Watergate, pre-Civil Rights era practices. Cash from unknown sources is flooding the most important races, while state politicians have instituted new barriers to the ballot box for millions of Americans. Regardless of who wins, the integrity of our elections has been undermined.

http://www.brennancenter.org/blog/we-already-know-who-won-2014-election

And a quick glimpse at how much money is being spent to influence voters - and how secretive and anonymous the funding process has become

A stealthy coterie of difficult-to-trace outside groups is slipping tens of millions of dollars of attacks ads and negative automated telephone calls into the final days of the midterm campaign, helping fuel an unprecedented surge of last-minute spending on Senate races.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/03/us/politics/a-flood-of-late-spending-on-midterm-elections-from-murky-sources.html?_r=0

Spending big money on TV ads in an election does not necessarily translate into victory for one's candidate. The rise of internet social media has I believe lessened its impact. One wealthy doner purportedly spent $100 million of his own money on TV ads in an effort to defeat Obama in 2012, and his candidate Romney still lost. The story I read indicated that he is being more circumspect, and less generous, in how he makes contributions to Republicans in the 2014 election. FYI : the individual is Sheldon Adelson.

Edited by Bill Angel

I think that the pundits are going to be proven wrong. The media is promoting the idea that the Republicans are going to gain control of the Senate. This idea is being pushed so hard, especially at the CNN website, that Democrats who normally would not bother to cast their votes in a mid-term election are going to be motivated to get off of their butts and to go down to the polling stations to keep this from happening.

Republicans have fewer seats to defend so it's a very high probability, regardless of how you feel about CNN or lazy dems.

A good short video primer at the following link... It's a perfect storm for republicans, explained using 8-bit Donkey Kong:

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/15/6972485/2014-midterms-explained-8-bit

Also, to others in the thread... more than 25% of all seats, constituting more than 1,000 midterm legislative slots... only have one candidate on the ballot. One out of four candidates are running completely unopposed in our country. Go democracy!

http://time.com/3553868/watch-john-oliver-state-legislatures/

Edited by iNow

Democracy is a great idea, bit how many people are actually informed? When 10% of the population believes thay have encountered aliens, and 30% believe the world is only 6000 years old, giving equla value to each citizen seems silly. Unfortunately, the alternative has very significant problems. Its a lose/lose situation. :eek::confused::unsure:

Bill Foster (D-Ill.) is the lone physicist in Congress.

Here is a the statement he made after the election results were announced.

I am honored and humbled to receive the support of 11th District voters tonight.

This is a victory for everyone who believes in strengthening the middle class, who believes that America succeeds when the middle class succeeds, and who believes in raising the minimum wage so that workers aren't living in poverty.

This is a victory for students, teachers, and parents who believe in strong public schools, and making college more affordable for all American families.

This is a victory for thoughtful public debate, a debate based on facts and logic and science instead of inflammatory and nonsensical talking points that do nothing but appeal to our worst instincts and fears.

I am proud to have the opportunity to continue fighting for these priorities.

I think that the pundits are going to be proven wrong. The media is promoting the idea that the Republicans are going to gain control of the Senate. This idea is being pushed so hard, especially at the CNN website, that Democrats who normally would not bother to cast their votes in a mid-term election are going to be motivated to get off of their butts and to go down to the polling stations to keep this from happening.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." attrib Niels Bohr

Senate

House

Voting is very important and a lot of people simply do not take it serious enough. There are 3 areas of voting that drive me nuts:

First is that candidates are able to run proudly on how average they are. They say they grow up local, never went to a fancy college, attend church twice a week, are just like you and for some reason that appeals to people. I personal do not want a government of average folks. I want my Congressman to be educated in law and finance than I am. I want smart people running things.

Second thing is candidates get away with being anti government. They say less government, too much red tap, let the private market handle things, shut down this and that agency, and it appeals to people. It makes no sense. Would anyone want to hire a Doctor that hated biology? To serve in government I think you should at least believe in it.

Lastly is gerrymandering. There should be a software program that divides states up into geometric shapes base of population. We (US of A) must stop allowing the two major parties to choose their own voters. It is crazy that we allow districts that clear circle around and snake through communities to to avoid certian populations. It make a farce of the process.

To be fair, judging from med school students, many doctors hate biology.

:lol:, I can see that.

It is odd though that a politician can campiagn of a platform of hating other politicians, being against the existence of the job for which they are running, and then actually win.