casimir question

hoola

has any optic experiment been done within the context of the casimir experiment? That is, as the plates near each other and the gap narrows so as to interfere with VP resonance, has anyone sent light through the narrow gap to see if light is affected in correlation to this particle behavior?

Edited by hoola

They probably aren't, or of any measurable amount, and thanks for the scharnhorst link swansontea..... to verify C being influenced by interactions seems an interesting result if a measurement is ever possible...

Edited by hoola

there is something odd about the scharnhorst effect though. If photons get delayed by particle interactions, wouldn't that violate the idea of "all photons must hang together"? Wouldn't traveling through normal space tend to lengthen a pulse as well as distort information contained in the lightwave? Wouldn't wavefronts be slightly blurred if some individual photons get shifted behind others? The wiki scharnhorst effect is written with consideration of single photon behavior. It seems to have different implications when considering a light beam.

Edited by hoola

there is something odd about the scharnhorst effect though. If photons get delayed by particle interactions, wouldn't that violate the idea of "all photons must hang together"?

Is there such an idea?

There have been attempts to measure the effect of the "quantum foam" on light from distant sources. I can't find any references now, but I think the results have been negative so far.

I thought I had read a reference to a rule that photons had to travel together. I presumed it came from some basic research in optics and was well established....perhaps I misinterpeted the conversation or it was simply incorrect...

I thought I had read a reference to a rule that photons had to travel together. I presumed it came from some basic research in optics and was well established....perhaps I misinterpeted the conversation or it was simply incorrect...

It might have been a way of describing the constant speed of light. Or something about coherent light. Or... I'm not sure really.

that sounds very familiar.....it was about 2 wks ago there was discussion of it...or some link to it I read at the time....it does seem that as light travels far distances, the smearing effect on the light signal corrupts basic information about the original pulse, setting a theoretical limit on resolution vs. distance, unless some real-time error correction was applied single observation. I guess that is what long base inferometry physically accomplishes..the resolution limit is extended although the methodology is different

Edited by hoola

The sharnhorst effect predicts a speeding up of light if one could remove virtual particles...I was thinking that the particles were possibly the "aether" and all energy transmissions depended upon them, including light. I was thinking that as particle density was lowered, a dimunition of light would follow....and that the higher frequency vs. lower freq. proportions of the overall particle density would also affect a non-linear response to certain light colors passing through the gap more easily...as the gap closes, the reds are reduced first, then as the gap closes further, colors towards the blue end become increasingly dim...and the affected photons would be reflected back to source, as a mirror effect would take place at the gap entrance.

Edited by hoola