What is a sticky gene?

pegasusprime

hi excuse me what is a sticky gene ? my teacher tell me it isnt a sticky end or a transposon

i search on some genetics books but i cant find anything normally they talk about sticky ends and transposons so i dont know the same on internet please help me

The only context I've ever heard the term is in genetic sequences with "sticky ends". Following incision using a restriction enzyme, a sequence can have uneven sequence at the end. Other than that - no idea what your teacher was referring to.

Image200.gif

i have already ask him about it i ask if she was talking about sticky ends or , transposons even translocation but she tell that it wasnt that it has to do with bad luck families and no disjunction

they cause some sickness like

down

turner

Klinefelter

it is a numéric alteration of the cromosomes

Edited by pegasusprime

maybe but she tell me the name is sticky genes that cause that sickness , and that it isnt tranposon , sticky ends or a chrmosomal translocation i have search but i couldnt find anything

Edited by pegasusprime

Down's and Klinefelter are both due to an extra copy of a chromosome (aneuploidy). Turner's is caused by a missing chromosome. I can't see any context in which the word "sticky" makes sense. What is her first language?

http://i.imagefra.me/09ajsx9vit s the original document she give me

it said that some aneuploides are caused by sticky genes they made disjunction difficult and

they tend to be on many menbers of the family

I can't read spanish, but I think this is simply a mistranslation or confusion over an analogy. Non-disjunction, i.e. the failure for disjunction to occur during cell division is when two sister chromatids fail to separate. They are "sticky" in the sense that the two chromosomes remain attached when they are supposed to separate. However, there is no "sticky gene" or "sticky genes". There can be multiple causes for non-disjunction to occur.

http://i.imagefra.me/09ajsx9vit s the original document she give me

it said that some aneuploides are caused by sticky genes they made disjunction difficult and

they tend to be on many menbers of the family

A quick translation of part the text

... errors in meiosis ... due possibly to the presence of sticky genes which favour the phenomenon of non-disjunction and when they repeat in different members of the same family constitute the medical concept known as “bad luck families” which can, for example, have a baby with Down syndrome ...

Edited by Strange