Question about the trash can part of site

Why can't people post ideas that could seem all like garbage to "smarter" people or community based on the fact they can't do the math to prove anything when i thought science was all about speculations, challenging ideas, theories, sharing an idea, helping others resolve someone's question that they don't know the answer to. something that sounds like garbage or impossible can somehow have truth in it look at many scientist that got laughed at and bam we use their science today. way back people thought we were the center of the universe or the earth was flat and the people that got laughed at saying the world is round and we are not the center of the universe. you may think people's ideas today sound terrible or impossible doesn't mean you trash it completely you just use scientific evidence to disprove them and then its over. True scientist look at every idea. this is my comment to the site. This is upsetting cause my idea was trashed 5 minutes after posted with no reason told on it when i did say i had no evidence and i did not have the knowledge i was hoping someone with the knowledge could look into it. moving something after 5 minutes to "trash can" is not open minded thats not spam.

Edited by MichaelHDurso

Just put it into the Lounge section, or even Speculations. Those are good areas for the types of ideas you describe. In fact, most ideas can be put in the primary science sections. Whether or not they get to stay there depends on how the questions are being asked and how the assertions are being made.

Trash has a different purpose, though. It's a repository for crap that needs to be taken out of the primary threads, but which doesn't necessarily warrant being deleted outright. It's so mods can move posts out of the actual discussion threads, but maintain a record of them and reference them later, as needed. Spam, however, is deleted outright so that doesn't go there, either.

If you open your own forum someday, you can use the trash can topic any way you want, but here it has a different purpose than the one you describe (which could be satisfied in at least 2 other existing sub-forums anyway, IMO).

Trash Can

Where the bad threads go.

The Speculations forum is provided for those people who like to postulate new ideas in the realm of science, or perhaps just make things up for fun.

The Lounge

Discuss life, work, school, anything!

Note: Trash can is also used when you hijack an existing discussion with your own unsupported ideas or pet theories. If a student comes in asking why 2+2 = 4, it's not a good place for you to start sharing why you think mathematics needs to be rethought or any other off-topic rant.

!

Moderator Note

First, welcome to the site. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Second, your thread was NOT placed in the Trash Can, it was moved to Speculations, which, due to the IP Board software layout and a bad design on our part, looks like it's a subset of the Trash Can rather than the other way around. A note should have been placed to let you know about the move, and the special rules that govern the Speculations section.

I'm very sorry for our part in this misunderstanding. We're not trying to infer anything by the proximity of the two sections. It's more like, say, getting the table next to the kitchen. It's a little off-putting but the menu is still interesting. happy.png

Trash has a different purpose, though. It's a repository for crap that needs to be taken out of the primary threads, but which doesn't necessarily warrant being deleted outright.

!

Moderator Note

To clarify: the staff generally don't delete posts unless they break the rules concerning civility (or spamming; posters spamvertising in the forums are banned and their posts deleted). Post that are off-topic and likely to or actually hijack a discussion are often moved into new threads, especially if the member is new, but it depends on the post. The trash can is used more often for repeat hijacking offenders, when the staff start to get fed up with the rule being ignored.