• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamit37

jamit37

Lepton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:20 AM

There is hardly any information on copper II borate on the web. Wikipedia has just a picture of the compound. I'm interested in making it... it's my goal to make all possible combination of copper based chemicals. Can someone help me out?

Here's what I've done so far. I've got a solution of copper II sulfate and mixed it with a solution of sodium borate (borax). This produces sodium sulfate in solution while copper II borate (or tetraborate?) ppt. Am I correct in this?

Is there another way of making copper II borate? (ie. boric acid and copper carbonate??)
Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

#2 hypervalent_iodine

hypervalent_iodine

Empress of Everything

• Moderators
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:49 AM

I don't really know much about copper (II) borate, but can I just say that if you really intend on making every single copper based compound possible, you have one hell of a long trek ahead of you! I hoped you've cleared the next few decades in your calendar :P

#3 mississippichem

mississippichem

fluorescent protein

• Resident Experts
  • 1,698 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

Not to mention you would need to synthesize them all in under a week or so, because people are constantly discovering or making new compounds. Ever since DFT and synth robots came out, synthetic chemistry is advancing extremely fast; mostly on the organic front, but I'm sure there is a new copper species at least every week.

As for copper(II) borate...not really sure either. But I imagine you can find a solvent that it will percipitate in. Then just find a soluble Cu(II) species and a soluble borate species. Stuff like this usually works for simple ionic salts. I think borax is a tetraborate hydrate though, don't know how far you'll get with that but it might work.

Edited by mississippichem, 10 February 2011 - 01:16 PM.

You've come a long way. Remember back when we defined what a velocity meant? Now we are talking about an antisymmetric tensor of second rank in four dimensions.

-Feynman Lectures on Physics II

#4 John Cuthber

John Cuthber

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 10,015 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

According to this
http://www.freepaten...com/3100718.pdf
you can make it from copper hydroxide and boric acid.
There are, of course, an infinite number of possible copper compounds.
The one you have made is probably copper (II) borate rather than the teraborate.
What's this signature thingy then? Did you know Santa only brings presents to people who click the + sign? -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users