tea safe as a chew?

jordehwa

hi i recently bought some loose black tea, i was wondering if it would be safe to use as a tobacco chew substitute? i do not chew tobacco i know how bad it is, but if i could chew tea i might.

i tried 3 different teas, earl grey, russian caravan tea, and some green tea i dont remember the name.

Remember all these are loose teas not from a tea bag

but anyway the earl grey was good at first but after like 5 minutes it was super bitter.:-(

The green tea was nasty but i think its because the one i had was not from a normal tea plant.:embarass:

The russian caravan tea makes a really strong cup of tea so i thought it would be too strong to use as a chew, but when i tried it never got too bitter and i had it in my mouth for about 45 mins.:cool:

If you want you could experiment and tell me what you like

by the way i washed the loose tea in cold water just to moisten them.

Tea contains flavins and catechins,both of which have been reported have a preventative effect on tooth decay and oral cancer. although it is still not really been confirmed if this is correct or not. Tea is also reputed to have anti-oxidant effects, although after all the hype of drinking tea as beneficial, a few of the tea manufacturers were slapped on the wrist for saying so, as the science doesn't hold it up as yet.

Either way, as long as you are not consuming bagfuls everyday, you should be fine :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about doing this myself. personally i dont mind a bitter taste, actually i kind of like it. So for me chewing on tea wouldn't be all that bad. But i suppose it's all personal preference.

• 5 years later...

Yes, I am very late but don't worry about that. Chewing tea is very safe, it can also keep you teeth clean, almost just as good as brushing your teeth. BUT! It may depend on what kind of tea you have, Like if for some reason you have somin like sleeping tea or somin... THEN you gone have to watch how much you chew. Watch the med of the tea.... Then you good.