Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

what's a good programming language to learn?

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#41 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationDelta, BC; Canada

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:02 AM

Fully implemented also through c++??
"He is their god! He leads them like a thing made by some other deity than Nature that shapes man better. And they follow him against us brats with no less confidence than boys pursuing summer butterflies, or butchers killing flies." - Cominius; Shakespears Coriolanus

#42 bascule

bascule

Genius

• Validating
  • 8,433 posts
  • LocationThe center of the universe (from my frame of reference)

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Fully implemented also through c++??

The CUDA SDK is aimed at C, although as I said earlier, it can be targeted by any language with a compiler that can output CUDA opcodes, like Obsidian in Haskell.
Radicalism: The conservatism of tomorrow injected into the affairs of today.
-- Ambrose Bierce

#43 PhDP

PhDP

Formerly Phil

• Senior Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

So.... ecoli, what was your choice after all ?

I had to deal with both Java and C++ in the last couple of days, I must say that programming in Java was so much easier (thanks to NetBeans). I will likely have to teach basic programming pretty soon and I will likely go with Java, I want the students to be able to concentrate on the science problem they have to solve, not to spend their time worrying about memory and pointers.
Science is built up of facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house

- Henri Poincaré

#44 stephengor

stephengor

Lepton

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 5 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

I think it's good to learn PHP, C#, C++, Perl. Wish you good luck:-)
[URL=http://trade-metal.com/dir/]open promotion directory[/URL]

#45 codefreek

codefreek

Lepton

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 9 August 2009 - 12:54 AM

You should start off with php as it is close to c and then go to perl and build up like that,
or if you are a fast learner and have easy time learning new stuff then go right ahead too,
C#/c++ coding

#46 bascule

bascule

Genius

• Validating
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 9 August 2009 - 05:11 AM

PHP isn't close to C at all. PHP's closest relatives are shell scripting languages, such as Perl, awk, sed, etc. PHP contains some functions with similar names to C functions, however PHP remains a dynamically typed (barely) garbage collected language with many extreme cases of type coersion. It's the only language I know where "3 dog night" + 2 = 5.

That said, PHP is probably a very bad language to start with. It's a horrible amalgamation of different languages fraught with bad design decisions by its creators.
-- Ambrose Bierce

#47 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:12 AM

How is prolog? Has anyone tried that around here?
vini, vidi, pardum-I came, I saw, I created.

Nothing is complex, just simple things put together.

If you need or want something, just invent it.

#48 bascule

bascule

Genius

• Validating
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

How is prolog? Has anyone tried that around here?

I think logic languages are an interesting thought experiment but generally impractical for most applications. I've seen some people attempt herculean tasks with logic languages and get extremely frustrated when they can't quite pull them off.
-- Ambrose Bierce

#49 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:08 AM

Just downloaded Python and starting to learn it, and since I did that, I might as well put my flag up:

Posted Image

hwazzagh!

#50 rrw4rusty

rrw4rusty

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

I was a programmer for 20 years... well, more or less -- titles included: application programmer; systems programmer; systems/network administrator; Manager of QC; Software Engineer; Software Architect; MIS.

IMHO the long answer is... it depends on what you wish to accomplish.

The short answer... or, best general, all around answer... or if I had to name just one is... C# (with Java a close second).

Again, IMHO.
Rusty
Ron (Rusty) Williamson
Owner/Animator
Virtualmedia Studios
WIP: The Making of The Spiral Slayer Trailer

Writer (Technical Articles, Science Fiction)
WIP: The Spiral Slayer (books 1 and 2)

#51 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

Ok. Maybe I anounced my loyalty to early. I just read what I took to be a time limit, and that this python thing would expire in a month. Man, I thought I finally found a free one that will actually work.

Does anyone know of any links of any programing language that would come in handy and is free and without a time limit or do I have to go out and buy a compiler, interpreter software etc... myself?

What is an average cost and where would I buy one?

What is the language that is best used in things like programming robots? Since that is my obsession I would like to learn it.

Also, {I am kind of new to programming}, is visual where you set things up with pictures etc... and the program you type it in converts that into program language then that is decoded into machine language? Is visual more popular/easy versus the others?

Would I be able to say, given that I knew a programming language and had a compiler for that language, go into notepad and type a program and save it as an EXE. or whatever, would that be viable? would it compile it and be a program or would I need some other program to help me?

Thanks.

#52 bascule

bascule

Genius

• Validating
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:07 AM

Eh? Time limit? Python is free and certainly doesn't have any kind of time limit. What exactly did you install?
-- Ambrose Bierce

#53 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

Never mind. I misread it. I also installed visual basic and that did have a time limit and I think that I may have been reading the wrong one or someting. Either way, I am now on my way. I downloaded an Ebook for learnign python, and I am reading the tutorial that came with it, so hopefully I will have it down soon enough.

Thanks for the recomendation to python bascule. It seems that many others think highly of it too. I searched some more before I downloaded it and there is quite a bit of good talk about it.

#54 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:04 AM

Visual Studio has what's known as express editions(they are free) ............ and VS2010 is in Beta release ......... not that I have any opinions in regards to what you learn Cameron or anyone else, it's what I'm currently using until I purchase a copy of 2010 when it is released. It has parallel programing architecture yay! :-p
"He is their god! He leads them like a thing made by some other deity than Nature that shapes man better. And they follow him against us brats with no less confidence than boys pursuing summer butterflies, or butchers killing flies." - Cominius; Shakespears Coriolanus

#55 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:33 AM

Don't the express editions have a 30 month limit unless you get a 'free' key? I looked into it, and downloaded it and everything, and then it told me I need a key to keep it for more than 30 days, so I tried to get my free key, but I then had to sign up to some website and they werent taking my email because it was a hotmail or something, so I just gave it up and uninstalled it, and went back to python.

#56 timo

timo

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

Would I be able to say, given that I knew a programming language and had a compiler for that language, go into notepad and type a program and save it as an EXE. or whatever, would that be viable? would it compile it and be a program or would I need some other program to help me?

I think all programming languages and environments keep their source codes as normal ASCII files. So you can program with notepad if you want, what you save is the source code. What you then do with the source code depends on you and the programming language. The two typical options are running it via an interpreter installed on your computer or compiling it into an executable file and then running the compiled executable. A compiled file does not need the compiler anymore so in theory you could copy it to another machine and run it there. However, the target machine and the machine you compiled on need to have similar architectures for this to work, making this type of spreading software more typical in the Windows world.

I know it is cool having created an "independent" "real" program rather than just a script for some interpreter. But in practice the actual advantage is not really that great - I personally see having to compile as a disadvantage since at least c++ compilers can be somewhat slow (during my diploma thesis I could go for a 20 minute coffee break if I had to compile and had touched some core files since the last compilation - and that happened about once a day on average and not necessarily at coffee time).

"Ocean madness is no excuse for ocean rudeness" -- H.J. Farnsworth

#57 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:36 AM

Don't the express editions have a 30 month limit unless you get a 'free' key? I looked into it, and downloaded it and everything, and then it told me I need a key to keep it for more than 30 days, so I tried to get my free key, but I then had to sign up to some website and they werent taking my email because it was a hotmail or something, so I just gave it up and uninstalled it, and went back to python.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/
http://www.microsoft...vb/Default.aspx

Huh? No!

Great now I have Visual Basic installed................yuck!

Wait, what do I do with it?

=> uninstall :-)

Edited by buttacup, 25 August 2009 - 01:51 AM.

#58 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:22 AM

And you can keep that visual basic indefinately?

Then whats the point in buying one?

#59 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:23 AM

Well there are more tools for debugging your programs if you buy it. Also it isn't a license to make commercial software and most individuals who program are doing so with the intent to make commercial software; well aside from lab coats and nerds. :-p

#60 ferrywayes

ferrywayes

Lepton

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:07 AM

Hi
I am suggest you to learn JAVA, and i think you can learn easily, It is also object oriented languages, Its difficult to learn But you may do this
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users