Do you trust IQ tests?

ennui

I'd say that some IQ tests can give a pretty good approximation of certain kinds of intelligence. High precision is probably impossible and probably meaningless (there's really no such thing as an IQ of 132 as opposed to ~130), and the farther away from the mean you get, the less precision is possible and the less meaning it has.

and then you have to consider that intelligence probably doesn't have a fixed value even during the course of a day.

when i'm on top form i can come up some brilliant ideas but if i'm having an off day you wouldn't believe i'd be able to dress myself in the morning and get the right limbs in the right holes.

I know a couple of people that are members of Mensa and both of them are real morons

This has led me to concluded that PERHAPS IQ and intelligence are not very closely correlated.

But, it is just my own personal, opinionated and casual observation; nothing scientific- just 2 data points.

Besides my conclusion being unscientific, it may also have more to do with people wanting to join and/or joining a particular clique than intelligence or IQ......

I know a couple of people that are members of Mensa and both of them are real morons

This has led me to concluded that PERHAPS IQ and intelligence are not very closely correlated.

But, it is just my own personal, opinionated and casual observation; nothing scientific- just 2 data points.

Besides my conclusion being unscientific, it may also have more to do with people wanting to join and/or joining a particular clique than intelligence or IQ......

Some time ago I was considering joining the Triple Nine Society, named for the sole entrance requirement, a 99.9th percentile score (as opposed to 98th for Mensa) on an approved IQ test or standardized academic test (I was looking at this one because they accept SAT scores, so I wouldn't have to take another test), because I was curious if the membership really was very smart, or (as I suspected) a bunch of maladjusted losers with nothing better to be proud of than a fanciful "score," or both. In the end I was too embarrassed to actually join, but my brief research did nothing to dissuade me of my suspicions.

They're very good points. Sometimes we all have stupid days. Does anyone else ever get that brain-state when you can't even remember how to spell basic words you've been spelling all your life!? The other day, I had to think for a while on how to spell 'tunnel'.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of I.Q. tests. I'm even less of a fan of high I.Q. societies. They seem awfully pretentious. But I.Q. tests themselves probably have their value of being a rough measure of some kinds of analytical skills.

In my last I.Q. test, I scored somewhere in the region of 72. According to some charts, that's borderline retarded. Oh dear.

and then you have to consider that intelligence probably doesn't have a fixed value even during the course of a day.

when i'm on top form i can come up some brilliant ideas but if i'm having an off day you wouldn't believe i'd be able to dress myself in the morning and get the right limbs in the right holes.

I actually brought this up just yesterday, on my Uni forums, where we were discussing how quickly people work assignments. I was arguing there's no fixed speed, even if somebody has a background in the subject, and find certain topics quite easy, you can have really bad days, due to a multitude of different reasons. Besides, it's not really noteworthy if you already know the subject and you work quicker, plus it could have taken a long time to get proficient.

A side note, a school in the UK, (I'll find a link) were testing teenagers (mini exam) based on their body clocks. For teenagers, they really do need to sleep till eleven, and stay up till late...it's not a consequence of lifestyle, as most people like to think. There was a significant boost in marks when the test was taken in the afternoon, as opposed to the morning.

EDIT:Hmmm, well this is the best I could find, the Horizon page on the BBC (where I got this info from) is no longer updated. Article from The Times.

Body Clock link

Edited by Snail

• 4 weeks later...
They're very good points. Sometimes we all have stupid days. Does anyone else ever get that brain-state when you can't even remember how to spell basic words you've been spelling all your life!? The other day, I had to think for a while on how to spell 'tunnel'.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of I.Q. tests. I'm even less of a fan of high I.Q. societies. They seem awfully pretentious. But I.Q. tests themselves probably have their value of being a rough measure of some kinds of analytical skills.

In my last I.Q. test, I scored somewhere in the region of 72. According to some charts, that's borderline retarded. Oh dear.

Those online ones are fickle. I got once 80, maybe I wasn't like awake or something, but after I did it again ad guess half of it and got 110. I get higher on the pure logic pattern ones. 120 -140 range.

I hate math and word question. Specifically because are totally redundant and boring. Who really cares what time stacey will arrive at the store if she walking at a specific speed.

I think intelligence is difficult to assess considering that there isn't really a definative answer as to what intelligence is. I studied several theories on intelligence back in the good ol' days of college. I never did hear of a unversal definition of what it is though. Sure, you could say "it's how smart ya are" but the brain is too complicated as well as assessing it accurately.

Well I do think IQ do assess some sort of intelligence. I've never broken the 140 mark, but I am sure there are those here that 140 is there lower limit. I think there is a base intelligence. My question is how useful is base intelligence? Especially if a person doesn't exercises it.

I worked with a heapful of scientist. I could tell right away who was the smartest, The guy who always thought. ALWAYS thinking. The other didn't like him much, but they didn't care because they had their position as leader in there own respective fields.

The other things is how much or how does creativity come into play. You cant really gauge that. I say IQ is like any sport, some people are just genetically gifted, some have to work really hard, some have special abilities....but it comes down to is, is it useful?

Are you using your intelligence for the better of mankind? You could add ridiculously long numbers together with in a few seconds, but if that's all your doing, In that case it irrelevant, if you get 90's in school, but you haven't really done anything with it....

Too me intelligence always come back to survival, even tf it's hard to relate thoses two in todays world, really progress and survivial are the only important factors we have to face, and if your intelligence doesnt help you to do either...it's pointless.

Sidenote: because the way society tends to make thing easier for us I noticed alot people rely less on themselves. It scary actually to see it happen. I guess that just means I am one step head, but it is frustrating to live in a scenario where your the only one thinking. especially when you need something from someone...I swear the movie "idiocracy* not so implausible..

Edited by GutZ

well, let me point out first of all... online tests are bollox. They make them easier and not according to the strict rules of a proper IQ test so that you get a ncie score, bloating your ego if you are stupid enough to fall for it and pay perhaps for some 'analysis'..

Online I get anything from 137-152 (and I am soo not that :)) which eevr it is (bar the MENSA ones).

But if you do a proper one, (on paper observed), you are not allowed to use the pencil even to sketch, neither do you have limitless time etc etc.

then i guess id be hitting more the 105 mark or so.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

lol.. had to laugh on the 'oh dear'part :) Yes.. just yesterday when I was talking with my friend, I just couldn't think of the colour cyan for the LOVE OF GOD... AND right after.. just couldn't remember the BLOODY name of our most famous writer DOH (boring as he is).

lol, the 72.. was that an online or a real test?

i like this one online because it is timed (the longer you take, the worse your score) and I'm one of those people who doesn't read the questions all the way and never checks his answers... and still gets them right

i think the tests usually give too good a score, i get like 130-140, the one above i got like 151... on a proper one i agree mine would be much lower.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

oh i get it ennui...

you got a bad score on the test so you posted this thread to see if it should be taken seriously.... :) thought I wouldn't figure that out?

Edited by coke
Consecutive posts merged.

The ones on facebook give fairly accurate results, and they also factor in how long it takes you to complete the test. On the regular one I got around 130. On the advanced one I got in the 160s (used paper though). So I don't know if any online tests can give you a difinitive answer. My science teacher says the stanford-binet IQ tests are the best though.

Edited by jake.com
accidently clicked reply.

The original purpose of IQ tests was to identify children who were not doing well at school so that they could be given more help.

For that job I guess IQ tests work quite well.

Aplication to anything else seems rather suspect; if the only thing you have that you can brag about is your IQ you really don't have anything to brag about.

(and now the cue for lots of rambling replies)

What is inteligence anyway?

The ones on facebook give fairly accurate results, and they also factor in how long it takes you to complete the test. On the regular one I got around 130. On the advanced one I got in the 160s (used paper though). So I don't know if any online tests can give you a difinitive answer. My science teacher says the stanford-binet IQ tests are the best though.

LOL... 'NO'I don't think facebook iq tests are likely to be 'accurate' :)

(no pun intended)

I had to piss so was jumping up and down but did that one u linked to and got 140.. as you can see... these online are all apeballs... go and take the mensa one... there is one which in fact doesnt give a crap how much time you use I believe... I struggled with it for months.. and I believe it is more like if you get one or two right.. you are already considered a rocket scientist (which I am lol).. anyway... all these online ones are just shite sorry to break your bubble.. but to fuel ego's as I said to buy a comilation of your 'abilities' . They are so easy it's ridiculous.

And carro no merit whatsoever apart form what you already know (that you are fairly good with these kind of problems as you alreayd in school knew if you were a muppet or quite quick ). Get over it.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

and coke... to further my point about online tests.. I went back and redid the same test and now scoring 159... 'jees' I must be Einstein now...

(as you can see they are useless, senseless, without merit.. and just a way to try and get morons to buy a report... fine by me .. enough ego's out there.. have actually noticed a bunch of above average IQ peeps which have an EQ (or social intelligence) similar to that of a lamp post). :x

Edited by lakmilis

Yes, IQ tests are useful, but have their problems. Various tests are designed to test best at specific ranges, and will be increasingly inaccurate the farther you are from that range. Your IQ will change significantly based on time of day and other factors. IQ tests give somewhat different results based on culture. High IQ does not necessarily mean you are particularly clever in any particular subject matter, nor that you will be successful. Online IQ tests are highly suspect, especially the ones that want to sell you a more detailed analysis.

Though IQ can change significantly as you age, it does tend to stay more or less the same. IQ does correlate to intelligence fairly strongly, so is a useful measure. Just remember that more important than intelligence is what you do with it.

Oh, and redoing an IQ test is cheating.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
i like this one online because it is timed (the longer you take, the worse your score) and I'm one of those people who doesn't read the questions all the way and never checks his answers... and still gets them right

Just so you know, clicking all the true answers as fast as you can on this test gives you an IQ of 118. Also, these questions do not measure only intelligence, but also knowledge. Also, a multiple choice test must subtract a portion of the points (equal to [math]1/(n-1) times the questions' value where n is the number of choices) for a wrong answer if the test is to be worth anything.

Edited by Mr Skeptic

yeah its useless i know... you're not breaking my bubble lakmilis, i know my iq isn't 140...

ok not a very good link then, i did it a long time ago and i liked it so i just posted it... although which questions required more than elementary knowledge, skeptic?

And yeah if you redo the test, you can just quickly pick the answers you figured out last time! Interestingly I redid it and got the same score 159

Edited by coke