making acetic anhydride

dom3mo

If you concentrate (dehydrate) acetic acid you will simply have concentrated acetic acid, or glacial acetic acid. Its impossible to make acetic anhydride from acetic acid. They are two different chemicals, not simply a diluted solution.

because they're different chemicals you can't make one from the other? Oh dear... there goes all chemistry. I suspect the name "acetic anhydride" comes from the fact that i's what you get when you remove water from acetic acid.

You are correct that if you remove water from a solution of acetic acid you'll just get a more concentrated solution, but if you remove water from the molecule you end up with an anhydride.

Some breif research on the net gave me this:

As the name indicates, an acid anhydride is a compound that is related to an acid by the loss of water. Acetic anhydride can by prepared by the dehydration of acetic acid at 800°C.

Alternatively, the reaction between the acid chloride and a salt of acetic acid (e.g. sodium acetate) yields acetic anhydride and a salt.

source

• 2 weeks later...

im not stating that, but to keep on track i would recomend that you go with the high heat dehydration, seems cleaner and more reliable, but it would require most likely a tube furnace(not so sure though), bunsen burner i think only reaches up to about 675*C

im not stating that, but to keep on track i would recomend that you go with the high heat dehydration, seems cleaner and more reliable, but it would require most likely a tube furnace(not so sure though), bunsen burner i think only reaches up to about 675*C

A bunsen flame gets a lot hotter than that.

• 2 years later...

suppose heating to 800 c is not a problem. the applications that call for AA suggest that it is in a liquid form. how do you then return the dehydrated AA to a liquid when it reacts with H2O converting itself back into acetic acid. What liquid should be used for re hydration?