Photo
- - - - -

What materials can X-Rays not pass through?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bridgey

bridgey

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:01 AM

I've been researching for a while now but i can't find anything that answers my question.

I'd like to know what are the radiopaque materials? That is, which materials can x-rays not pass through?

Thanks in advance.

#2 5614

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,428 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:34 AM

I don't know but a google search came up with barium sulphate.
[acr=Hi, hope you have a nice day :)]Jonathan aka 5614[/acr][acr=Hi, hope you have a nice day :)]
---
So, is the universe indeterministic? Probably![/acr]

#3 YT2095

YT2095

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

yeah, Barium Sulphate`s a good one, but the original question is still too vague in the respect that there`s no mention of Power levels or Type, such as Hard or Soft X-Rays, one could argue that Lead is another Blocker, but then that`s only partly true also, as it`s efficiency depends upon many other factors.

#4 5614

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,428 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

You could also argue that a blackhole is radiopaque ;)
[acr=Hi, hope you have a nice day :)]Jonathan aka 5614[/acr][acr=Hi, hope you have a nice day :)]
---
So, is the universe indeterministic? Probably![/acr]

#5 YT2095

YT2095

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

I`ll bring that up the next time I see a Radiologist for an X-Ray :P

#6 swansont

swansont

Shaken, not stirred

• Moderators
  • 26,412 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

As YT said, the energy matters, but nothing is actually opaque, really; it's a matter of being more or less transparent. In terms of e.g. taking an x-ray picture, you get contrast so the film is more or less exposed, and materials like lead will be better at shielding, but some fraction of x-rays will pass through, depending on the thickness (it's an exponential function, e^{-\lambda L} ).

If you want materials that are good at stopping x-rays, you want a large linear attenuation coefficient, \lambda

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum                                   To shake my vodka martini, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#7 RyanJ

RyanJ

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,254 posts
  • LocationDirectly above the center of the Earth.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

I've been researching for a while now but i can't find anything that answers my question.

I'd like to know what are the radiopaque materials? That is, which materials can x-rays not pass through?

Thanks in advance.

Theoretically anything as long as there is enough of it :-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones
There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count and those who cannot.

#8 sunspot

sunspot

Suspended

• Banned
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:56 PM

When I worked in Oak Ridge, our sister plant, the National Lab, had a swimming pool where they put hot/radioactive stuff from their experimental reactor. It was sort of weird walking along the catwalk and seeing the things glowing blue under the water. I believe about 20 ft or so of water is sufficient as an radiation shield including X-rays. This taught me a strategy if there ever was a nuclear incident nearby. If deep water is available, dive as deep as possible.

Another good shield is lead. If one gets an X-ray, this provides the family jewels some protection. Berylium is also good.

#9 swansont

swansont

Shaken, not stirred

• Moderators
  • 26,412 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:00 AM

Another good shield is lead. If one gets an X-ray, this provides the family jewels some protection. Berylium is also good.

Berylium? Is this the same Berylium that has an attenuation coefficient of about 0.25/cm at 100 keV (as compared to Pb, with a value of 50/cm)?

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum                                   To shake my vodka martini, click the up arrow ^

#10 Nevermore

Nevermore

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:50 AM

I think he meant barium.
Save the lungfish!
Email the Australian senators about it here.

#11 jdurg

jdurg

Resident Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 2,171 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut, USA

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

Pretty much any heavy, dense metal (or in some cases metal salts) will be good at blocking radiation. Uranium metal is actually VERY good at blocking gamma rays and x-rays, ironically enough.

#12 YT2095

YT2095

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

I think he meant barium.

or perhaps Bismuth? I think I`de trust that alot more out of the "B" letter metals :)

#13 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,606 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:39 AM

about a foot of concrete would work too.
[14:02] <Sato> I
[14:02] <Sato> want
[14:02] <Sato> Schroedinger
[14:04] == Schroedingers_hat [~matt@CPE-121-222-209-157.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au] has joined #sfn

#14 washim

washim

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

I want no about materials which has very low X Ray absorbing property. The material should be transparent like glass. It has to be safe for medical instrument

#15 swansont

swansont

Shaken, not stirred

• Moderators
  • 26,412 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

X-rays are ionizing radiation. You'll want something with a low atomic density and low atomic number to minimize the number of potential targets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users