Age and shape of the Universe

Stclaim

We seem to have a lot of 'evidence' of the universe being 13.8 billion years old, with some people believing it could be younger. Are we talking about the age of the matter in the universe, or the age of the Universe.

When the BB occurred time did not exist. Time began some period after BB but the Universe came into existence as BB occurred.

If the originating stuff that created(?) BB was spinning then the universe would not be spherical. Possibly like a spiral? Or even donut shaped. Or could it be spherical but with an area of nothingness surrounding the place where the BB originated as all the matter was ejected?

I'm being devils advocate to start discussions. Please don't shoot me down in flames because I am not an expert in the field.

41 minutes ago, Stclaim said:

When the BB occurred time did not exist. Time began some period after BB but the Universe came into existence as BB occurred.

If there was no time then there couldn’t be an “after”. 

Also, their is no evidence for the universe “coming into existence”. That is not part of the Big Bang model. 

5 hours ago, Stclaim said:

How can time begin some period after the BB, if our region of the Universe came into existence as BB occurred?

Don't you think time would start when the BB banged?

Edited by Airbrush

5 hours ago, Stclaim said:

We seem to have a lot of 'evidence' of the universe being 13.8 billion years old, with some people believing it could be younger. Are we talking about the age of the matter in the universe, or the age of the Universe.

If the originating stuff that created(?) BB was spinning then the universe would not be spherical. Possibly like a spiral? Or even donut shaped. Or could it be spherical but with an area of nothingness surrounding the place where the BB originated as all the matter was ejected?

I'm being devils advocate to start discussions. Please don't shoot me down in flames because I am not an expert in the field.

We are in fact talking about how long radiation has to be smeared over space due to inflation. In my opinion, there is conflicting evidence in cosmology about what all seems to indicate, an age discrepancy. 

6 hours ago, Stclaim said:

You seem to have the common idea that empty space already existed and the BB was like an "explosion" that occurred somewhere in that space.

That's not the current scientific understanding. Our space and time are the result of the BB, which was more of an expansion of everything away from everything else (in general). There is no "outside" as such.