LHC may not detect Dark matter

The justification for the LHC was it could recreate the conditions and produce all the particles present just after the BB. Here is the problem. Dark mater. If you believe like I do that everything in our universe was created during the BB (what ever that was) then it also created Dark matter. With the current detectors in the LHC we won't detect Dark matter. How can you detect something you don't know exists. Of course you detect the gravity. However, with the enormous abundance of Dark matter in the universe one would surly think the Dark matter particle (if that's what it is) would have been detected by now. But it hasn't.

It also hasn't detected mini black holes would indicate the existence of extra dimensions, which would support string theory and related models as well as parallel universes.

Its possible that physics as we know it can't explain all of our observations. I am not saying throw out physics, I am saying it isn't going to do us much good in the world the LHC has created.

"The next few years may tell us whether we'll be able to continue to increase our understanding of nature or whether maybe, for the first time in the history of science, we could be facing questions that we cannot answer," Harry Cliff, a particle physicist at the European Organization for Nuclear Research — better known as CERN — said during a recent TED talk in Geneva, Switzerland.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-end-of-physics-as-we-know-it-2016-1

1 hour ago, Quantum321 said:

The justification for the LHC was it could recreate the conditions and produce all the particles present just after the BB. Here is the problem. Dark mater. If you believe like I do that everything in our universe was created during the BB (what ever that was) then it also created Dark matter. With the current detectors in the LHC we won't detect Dark matter. How can you detect something you don't know exists. Of course you detect the gravity. However, with the enormous abundance of Dark matter in the universe one would surly think the Dark matter particle (if that's what it is) would have been detected by now. But it hasn't.

It also hasn't detected mini black holes would indicate the existence of extra dimensions, which would support string theory and related models as well as parallel universes.

Its possible that physics as we know it can't explain all of our observations. I am not saying throw out physics, I am saying it isn't going to do us much good in the world the LHC has created.

"The next few years may tell us whether we'll be able to continue to increase our understanding of nature or whether maybe, for the first time in the history of science, we could be facing questions that we cannot answer," Harry Cliff, a particle physicist at the European Organization for Nuclear Research — better known as CERN — said during a recent TED talk in Geneva, Switzerland.

The LHC was created for science to gain new knowledge on predicted particles including the Higgs Boson and other unknown physics questions that include DM. 

DM remains unknown at this time simply due to the fact that it only interacts gravitationally, no matter how long it has been since the BB.

The LHC is another scientific tool for gaining knowledge, and as such is  well worth the time, effort and money.

2 hours ago, Quantum321 said:

There is no question it is well worth the time, effort and money. Its opened up a whole new world.  I am questioning if it will ever detect DM.

I don't know, but other experiments are operating in an effort to discover the true nature of DM: Due to its properties, ( or lack thereof) it is proving difficult.  The evidence from astronomical observations is telling us DM is out there, and that is why scientists are persisting in the search.

7 hours ago, Quantum321 said:

Dark mater. If you believe like I do that everything in our universe was created during the BB (what ever that was) then it also created Dark matter.

That is not really a matter for believe (nothing in science is, or should be). However, the evidence seems to show that dark matter has been around for as long as matter. (Which allows us to skip over the dubious "created" question.)

With the current detectors in the LHC we won't detect Dark matter. How can you detect something you don't know exists.

That is an odd argument. Particle colliders have a long history of detecting things that we didn't know existed. Science in generals a long history of discovering things that were previously unknown.

Of course you detect the gravity. However, with the enormous abundance of Dark matter in the universe one would surly think the Dark matter particle (if that's what it is) would have been detected by now. But it hasn't.

Some things are hard to detect. It took years to detect Neptune after its gravitational effect was detected. It took decades before neutrinos were detected. It took more decades before the Higgs boson was detected. This detection time will, inevitably, tend to increase in future (because we have detected the things that are easy to detect).

But not detecting things can be as important as detecting them. Some versions pf supersymmetry have been eliminated, for example, by the failure to detect the predicted particles.

Its possible that physics as we know it can't explain all of our observations.

Of course. That is why people are looking for new physics (with the LHC, in cosmology, etc). Unfortunately, nearly everything remains annoyingly consistent with current physics.

I am not saying throw out physics, I am saying it isn't going to do us much good in the world the LHC has created.

I don't understand. What is "the world the LHC has created"?

"The next few years may tell us whether we'll be able to continue to increase our understanding of nature or whether maybe, for the first time in the history of science, we could be facing questions that we cannot answer," Harry Cliff, a particle physicist at the European Organization for Nuclear Research — better known as CERN — said during a recent TED talk in Geneva, Switzerland.

I don't know what to make of that. It is just such a bizarrely illogical argument. It is the sort of thing typically said by Creationists - or people who have just written a book. Has he just written a book? (I haven't watched the video, maybe he makes a more rational argument in that.)

16 hours ago, Quantum321 said:

There is no question it is well worth the time, effort and money. Its opened up a whole new world.  I am questioning if it will ever detect DM.

Almost certainly not.
Nor will it cure malaria or make good coffee: it wasn't designed to do that either.

I

10 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Almost certainly not.
Nor will it cure malaria or make good coffee: it wasn't designed to do that either.

Exactly. I am saying it is possible that DM could be released in the experiments and no one would ever know it because the detectors are designed to detect the subatomic particles we can detect.

If in the early universe the amount of matter and antimatter were nearly equal then how much DM was present at that time? As strange correctly points out DM has been around at least as long as matter.

There are seven new telescopes that are being produced. One of their tasks will be to try to see dark matter. If any are successful then it may be possible to adjust the LHC to detect DM.

58 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Exactly. I am saying it is possible that DM could be released in the experiments and no one would ever know it because the detectors are designed to detect the subatomic particles we can detect.

There are many ways that particles can be detected. Because dark matter is thought not to interact except via gravity, then it probably will not be detected directly. But that doesn't mean it can't be detected. For example, if there is a significant missing energy from a decay reaction, then that could be due to dark matter particles. Any such "missing particle" events would tell us more about dark matter. This is the same way that neutrinos were first detected.