Schwarzschild radius?

jajrussel

I tend to be clueless, but it doesn't stop me from having questions?

When I think black hole, and Schwarzschild radius I tend to think spherical, but if a black hole can have plumes of energy emitting on opposite sides I want to assume that at those two points there can be no Schwarzschild radius by definition if the plumes originate from within the black hole. If the plumes originate outside the black hole why the concentration at those points? Also, artist renditions seem to suggest that the Schwarzschild radius need not be spherical? Leading me to think that the black hole doesn't need to be spherical? Does spinning flatten the black hole? It doesn't seem that it should be able to?

Edited by jajrussel

6 minutes ago, jajrussel said:

When I think black hole, and Schwarzschild radius I tend to think spherical, but if a black hole can have plumes of energy emitting on opposite sides I want to assume that at those two points there can be no Schwarzschild radius by definition if the plumes originate from within the black hole. If the plumes originate outside the black hole why the concentration at those points?

The important point here is that these plumes (usually referred as jets) don't originate within the black hole. Although the mechanism is not fully understood, they appear to be created by the intense magnetic fields and temperatures in the accretion disk (outside the event horizon) which accelerates particles to high speeds at the magnetic poles.

Also, artist renditions seem to suggest that the Schwarzschild radius need not be spherical? Leading me to think that the black hole doesn't need to be spherical? Does spinning flatten the black hole? It doesn't seem that it should be able to?

Yes, a spinning black hole is flattened: http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/K/Kerr_black_hole.html

(GR is complex and what "seems" like it should be the case often isn't!)

Thank you.

These are questions?

So the Jets are made up of molecular materials that surround the black hole? We see the Jets because their temperature is a lot higher than the surrounding material? In order to sustain they would be fed by the surrounding material, rather than material from the black hole? How hot would the interior of black hole get doing that much work?

The interior of the black hole has no effect. It is entirely driven by gravity pulling material in, which is then heated by friction, becomes a plasma and generates intense electrical and magnetic fields. Exactly how this results in jets is not really understood though ...

On 9/12/2017 at 8:11 PM, jajrussel said:

Thank you.

These are questions?

So the Jets are made up of molecular materials that surround the black hole? We see the Jets because their temperature is a lot higher than the surrounding material? In order to sustain they would be fed by the surrounding material, rather than material from the black hole? How hot would the interior of black hole get doing that much work?

As Strange has said, the polar jets do not originate from inside the BH: Nothing but nothing ever crosses the EH, back out of the BH. They are thought to originate from spinning [Kerr metric] BHs, along with twisted magnetic field lines. As matter spirals into the BH from the accretion disk, it can reach speeds just short of "c" and very  high temperatures. A rotating charged BH is called a Kerr-Newman BH, but charge would not last any real length of time, as the charge is negated by matter of opposite charge. 

The spin also oblates the BH into a oblate spheroid shape, and forming another EH and a region called the ergosphere, from which theoretically a sufficiently advanced civilisation may be able to extract energy but that's another story. :) 

http://astrosun2.astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro201/ergosphere.htm

bh_ergosphere.gif

Edited by beecee

On 9/12/2017 at 7:31 AM, Strange said:

The interior of the black hole has no effect. It is entirely driven by gravity pulling material in, which is then heated by friction, becomes a plasma and generates intense electrical and magnetic fields. Exactly how this results in jets is not really understood though ...

So, any observed effect occurs outside the schwarzschild radius, and we don't know what determines the poles positions? The holes spin can be clockwise or counterclockwise depending on our observation point?

This plasma in a sense coats the outside of the hole, (Acts as an atmosphere), and the magnetic/electric fields are the result of how the plasma interacts with incoming Materials? I am trying to determine where the interior that has no effect begins? I am assuming when you and others say no effect you mean other than gravity?

The plasma is located on what the pictures call the ergosphere?

In effect it is the ergosphere that changes shape?

Edited by jajrussel