Is wonder woman a good role model for young girls?

mad_scientist

No.

But who said she's a role model.

She was nominated as a U.N. ambassador.

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-13/wonder-woman-loses-united-nations-ambassador-job/8114832

No.

But who said she's a role model.

Many young girls/women look up to wonder woman for empowerment of women.

Also, if you are a guy, do you think that you should worry this sort of stuff for the sake of the global female human population?

If so, why should men/boys care about the issue of empowerment of women?

Should this be entirely left to women/girls to debate amongst themselves?

She doesn't get a say in whether she is a role model: she is in the public eye and young people may look up to her.

Are we talking about wonder woman or the actor?

I believe it is the woman

I believe it is the woman

The actor then?

Honestly i've not seen the movie (nor do i plan to - i've been playing D&D for decades now and i'm sick to death of bikini armour), or even know the name of the actor, so i'll just speak very generally.

Female role models seem very limited and wonder women doesn't seem to broaden it much. From the adverts i've seen she is incredibly attractive and showing plenty of cleavage. I have no problem with such people as role models; with women being comfortable and owning their sexuality, but it seems to be the dominant role model for women.

Game of Thrones does much better for female role models: yes you have the skimpily clad bad-ass women trope, but they also have the tom-boy, the motherly protector type, the politically scheming siren, the silent assassin out for revenge and more...

As a bloke with a mother and nieces and sisters and female friends i feel i have a stake in the discussion of female role models (as they would have a stake if i started revering some chauvinist rapist character).

The actor then?

Sorry, I meant the character. I thought you were asking me a one or the other type question.

The actor then?

Honestly i've not seen the movie (nor do i plan to - i've been playing D&D for decades now and i'm sick to death of bikini armour), or even know the name of the actor, so i'll just speak very generally.

Have you seen batman vs superman at least?

I have not seen wonder woman the movie as I am a man and would not find the protagonist as relatable due to my gender.

Have you seen batman vs superman at least?

I have not seen wonder woman the movie as I am a man and would not find the protagonist as relatable due to my gender.

Mr Mopey vs Mr Perfect? No, i haven't seen it. The only superhero shows i like are The Watchmen, Spawn (the series, not the film) and some Batman cartoons and the Avengers kids cartoon (maybe some others i have forgotten). The rest seem to follow a set formula - they might as well add subtitles saying laugh now, cry now, be angry now, cheer now... i'll stop ranting now.

I understand the point about it being more difficult to relate to characters different to yourself, but that is the point of some cinema: to experience what it is like to be someone else, to live another life different to your own. Try a broader selection of movies.

As a bloke with a mother and nieces and sisters and female friends i feel i have a stake in the discussion of female role models (as they would have a stake if i started revering some chauvinist rapist character).

Yes. I have five daughters (no sons), so I feel like I have a stake in how the world presents opportunities to women. So far it's going good - my oldest is a policy analyst at a public policy foundation in Austin and the other two that are in college are headed for careers in biomedical engineering and teaching.

I didn't try to "shape" how they think - the big thing I pushed at every possible opportunity was for them to think for themselves. I also tried to give them good information on "how guys tick."

As far as the more superficial stuff goes, I'm delighted Wonder Woman is there because I quite enjoy looking at her - that actress is a heck of a good looking gal. Generally speaking, though, I don't really see super heroes as role models - they aren't "typical," so that don't present a realistic picture of how a person can actually operate in the world.

Yes. I have five daughters (no sons), so I feel like I have a stake in how the world presents opportunities to women. So far it's going good - my oldest is a policy analyst at a public policy foundation in Austin and the other two that are in college are headed for careers in biomedical engineering and teaching.

I didn't try to "shape" how they think - the big thing I pushed at every possible opportunity was for them to think for themselves. I also tried to give them good information on "how guys tick."

As far as the more superficial stuff goes, I'm delighted Wonder Woman is there because I quite enjoy looking at her - that actress is a heck of a good looking gal. Generally speaking, though, I don't really see super heroes as role models - they aren't "typical," so that don't present a realistic picture of how a person can actually operate in the world.

I think the idea behind having a superhero as a role model is because humans are naturally flawed and almost always let us down whereas cartoon characters or superheroes aren't as they can be created a certain way to hide any flaws.

Congratulations on raising five well educated daughterd who will undoubtedly contribute greatly to society and earn a high paying salary. How did you manage to raise such successful daughters? E.g. Did you read to them when they were younger or gel them with their homework?

How did you influence them to become the successful people that they will become or already have become?

How did you learn to become such an excellent father to them?

Edited by mad_scientist

How did you influence them to become the successful people that they will become or already have become?

How did you learn to become such an excellent father to them?

Oh my gosh. I don't think you "learn" to become a father - you just become one one day at a time. I never felt like I spoon-fed them very much; I just made sure they understood that homework did have to get done, and so on. Sure, we read to them when they were little, and encouraged reading by being generous when it came to buying books as they grew. But I give most of the credit for what they're becoming to them - I've just tried to set a good example on things like work ethic, keeping my word, appreciation of knowledge and learning, and (mentioned above) self-reliant thinking. I've just taught them that they're responsible for themselves and responsible for their actions. They've taken it from there.

I in no way feel like an "expert father." I think some of it has been luck, some of it has been genetic - I and both of their mothers are reasonably smart (two marriages - two daughters from the first and three from the second) - and some of it has been the examples we set. But they've done the heavy lifting themselves.

• 2 months later...