Slower than light Alcubierre drive.

Moontanman

I seem to remember a while back the Alcubierre drive when used for FTL presented several problems not the least of which was a huge release of gamma radiation at the destination. But there was also a mention that the drive could be used for slower than light travel as well and so used didn't cause any radiation problems. I have googled it quite a bit but i can't find a reference to the slower than light use of Alcubierre drive. Is this a possibility?

I did find this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

A more recent article by Carlos Barceló, Stefano Finazzi, and Stefano Liberati uses quantum theory to argue that the Alcubierre drive at faster-than-light velocities is impossible mostly because extremely high temperatures caused by Hawking radiation would destroy anything inside the bubble at superluminal velocities and destabilize the bubble itself; the article also argues that these problems are absent if the bubble velocity is subluminal, although the drive still requires exotic matter.[10]

The alcubierre drive will cause gamma problems even at lower than ftl. It is nature of the spacetime warping that causes the radiation. I will have to dig up the arxiv article detailing this (assuming I can relocate the paper)

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2017 at 6:09 PM, Mordred said:

The alcubierre drive will cause gamma problems even at lower than ftl. It is nature of the spacetime warping that causes the radiation. I will have to dig up the arxiv article detailing this (assuming I can relocate the paper)

Did you find the relevant paper? 

4 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Did you find the relevant paper? 

According to Special Relativity, while traveling at relativistic velocity, photons coming from f.e. stars are blue-shifted (Relativistic Doppler Effect) and f.e. pair of matter-antimatter e- and e+ is created. Positron will annihilate with surface of spaceship.