Organic Chemistry

The Almighty

In your previous thread you told us that you are transitioning from High School to College.

I don't see this as a question in this context, although that said the answer lies within the scope of the old fashioned UK A level. But you obviously need to know a bit about bonding.

It is probably easier to count the carbon atoms in each molecule (you have to do this anyway for the comparison part of the question) then identify the atoms which are not sp3 hybrids and subtract. You do not need to try to work out each electronic configuration

I said in your last thread that carbon is tetravalent. The sp3 hybrid is the ordinary common or garden single bond when all four bonds are identical (and therefore single) as in the methyl group I mentioned.

So have a go and see if you can deduce the correct answers using this information and then post them here.

We can take it from there and perhaps explore the meaning of sp3 hybridisation.

Do you know what s and p orbitals are?

Edited by studiot

In your previous thread you told us that you are transitioning from High School to College.

I don't see this as a question in this context, although that said the answer lies within the scope of the old fashioned UK A level. But you obviously need to know a bit about bonding.

It is probably easier to count the carbon atoms in each molecule (you have to do this anyway for the comparison part of the question) then identify the atoms which are not sp3 hybrids and subtract. You do not need to try to work out each electronic configuration

I said in your last thread that carbon is tetravalent. The sp3 hybrid is the ordinary common or garden single bond when all four bonds are identical (and therefore single) as in the methyl group I mentioned.

So have a go and see if you can deduce the correct answers using this information and then post them here.

Your definition of sp3 hybridisation might / is be a bit misleading if or when the OP comes to consider things like allenes or heteroatoms, and doesn't exactly explain the concept. I'd be interested to hear what the OP thinks about hybridisation.

Your definition of sp3 hybridisation might / is be a bit misleading if or when the OP comes to consider things like allenes or heteroatoms, and doesn't exactly explain the concept. I'd be interested to hear what the OP thinks about hybridisation.

I fully accept mine is a very basic and simplified introduction, but I'm not even sure that the OP has enough Chemistry to correctly count the carbon atoms in each compound. We did not cover the symbolism/convention as to what is at the ends of the 'sticks' or 'stalks' in each displayed formula in the last thread. So that will be the first hurdle to overcome.

Whilst MAPP gas might be 'common or garden' in some circles, we have just finished explaining alkanes to the OP, so allenes?

And do you count the nitrogen in the third example as a heteroatom?

But I also accept you are much more knowledgeable here than I am, so please continue to butt in.

:)

By heteroatoms I mean non carbon/hydrogens. So yes, the nitrogen is included there. The only reason I butted in is because it is better to avoid the misconceptions due to oversimplification at the beginning than it is to rectify someone's thinking later. I don't think hybridisation is that difficult to understand properly provided the right base knowledge is there, hence why I would like to hear from the OP about what they know.

Well, what do you know about identifying the type of hybridisation?

Oh! Just the c part. I forgot to round it. I feel so stupid now..

a) i)6 ii)3 iii)1

b) i)7 ii)11 iii) 7

c) I didn't see any similarities ..

Edited by The Almighty

Well no, they share particular commonalities. For instance, what would you say about the middle portion of the molecules? What kind of functional groups are on the right? Do they share anything in common?

As an example that might help you, if I had an ester, an amide, and an acid anhydride, I would say that they share the property of being carboxylic acid derivatives. If two of those functional groups were substituted onto a ring spaced only by a methyl substituted carbon, I would also say that those two molecules have that in common. You can state some very broad similarities between all three molecules like this, but there are also many more specific ones when you only consider two. The question hasn't asked you to state the commonalities between all three exclusively, so you could state both.