A simple bench top experiment with GRAVITY . Is there anything there?

Mike Smith Cosmos

Ok, can we stop for a moment. I want us to take what might seem like a big step backwards.

Mike, I often ask these questions to PhD students, I would like you to think about them and perhaps have a go at answering them or discussing them in the context of this thread.

1. What question are you trying to answer?

2. What measurements of what observables will answer that question?

Ok, can we stop for a moment. I want us to take what might seem like a big step backwards.

Mike, I often ask these questions to PhD students, I would like you to think about them and perhaps have a go at answering them or discussing them in the context of this thread.

That is a good question ! O.k. Leave that with me . I will give that serious thought ! ..

Rather than wandering around , thinking about a seriously under nourished subject ! ....

Then respond .

Mike. ......

..." Mike ?......... What is your question ? ....... ..... " what are your observable ? " .........

..." This is dangerous , as I spend a lot of time walking by canals , seas , and rivers ! " .......

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

• 2 weeks later...

These are ' MY QUESTIONS ' and ' OBSERVABLES ' .

1. How exactly does mass , as the apparent originator of the ' Gravitational Effect ' convey its effect across a distance to something else with ' Mass '

2 The observables chosen to investigate this ' Phenomenon ' are that of various oscillating masses that can be found in a bench top environment . And water gently flowing ,down stream , in a small local River .

I have discussed this at reasonable length with a well known local Science Forum personnel, alongside a local River network today . And have isolated some areas to cover. We discussed the roll of Maths, Fields , local proximity, . Such as the effects of ground level distortion, gravitational fields, and engineering principles.

Also we discussed how it might be possible to isolate individual variables , for observation , and possible phenomenon?

Possible areas for consideration are ' the Higgs Field , ' and Virtual Higgs bosons '

Neighbouring matter . Laser measurement . Relativity. Fields . Attraction .

Mike

Ps . Another local engineer, taking a break by the river , overheard us " giving it 'what for ' scientifically , in the park by the river " .

He came over and said " I have not heard such a stimulating conversation , in many a long year ! "

post-33514-0-80038800-1475534619_thumb.jpg

You've not said what you can measure but give a couple of systems with many observables.

You need a way to link your question to the answer mathematically. On these scales the answer to any measurement will be Newtonian. How can you measure something that tells you more?

Your question is too broad. I'd suggest something simpler like "what affects the period of oscillation of the plates?" Your measurements are then the period of oscillation and what you choose to change, say height above the surface or coefficient of friction.

You've not said what you can measure but give a couple of systems with many observables.

You need a way to link your question to the answer mathematically. On these scales the answer to any measurement will be Newtonian. How can you measure something that tells you more?

Your question is too broad. I'd suggest something simpler like "what affects the period of oscillation of the plates?" Your measurements are then the period of oscillation and what you choose to change, say height above the surface or coefficient of friction.

O.k. I will try to digest what you are saying .

As part of a literature research , There is a hint at what others before me have already stated . Referred to me yesterday by my friend from the science forum . Namely the words in a book about or by Arthur Eddington , back in 1929 namely .

He , having worked to some extent concurrent with Einstein and familiar with ( Einstein's Curvature of space )

Arthur Eddington , referring to Einstein's work said to quote

" rather than Mass causing a disturbance in ( Space ) " , :- " MASS ' IS ' a DISTURBANCE IN SPACE ' . "

Would this infer that the creation of mass in the first place back in the Big Bang , was a complete curling up of space into the original matter particles , or something the like ?

As my colleague explained to me , Space has to include time as different reference frames include different ' time ' .

So in your suggesting the questions could include the ' oscillations ' , this will itself introduce ' time ' into the considerations ?

Not too sure how the experimental investigation of the water surfaces of the river incorporate time yet ?

Mike