Anxiety disorder sufferer here...

Guest AnxietyZone

Guest AnxietyZone

Hi

I just joined the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone. I have suffered from a variety of anxiety related disorders over the years and I know they can take a tremendous toll on a person's life. I have been "officially" diagnosed (among other things) with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Hypochondria, Panic Disorder, Depression, Phobias, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and have dealt with these conditions for the better part of ten years. Many of my family members are also sufferers to one degree or another. I take "benzos" and SSRI's but it still is'nt always easy.

Anyway, glad to be here and that I found this place!:)

I feel ya AnxietyZone. Just don't forget that your anxiety is in reaction to your environment and you have to change your environment (and not blame yourself) to feel better.

Actually, I went through anxiety disorder and social phobia for a while, and currently am trying to avert a deep depression. I sought friends, and when I found that even one person cares for me I became much more confident. Furthermore, I became more active in things I was interested, and was confident in myself. I did not listen to when people thought I had a problem. They were wrong. Difference does not mean disorder in any way.

It seems that you "admit" your problem, as seen in your name. I just wouldn't go too far with that so that it becomes a label and self-fulfilling prophecy, even a little.

p.s. I'm not a clinician (yet), just a psychology researcher currently.

Hi there Anxiety Zone. I have had lots of anxiety in the past due to depression. They seem to reinforce each other. I actually found that SSRIs increased my anxiety. I got these awful agitated depressions. I very gradually tapered off SSRIs and found my life much better for it.

I am not saying I recommend this for you however. Every person is different.

What I found really helpful was finding a psychologist who saw potential in me and treated me as an equal and a human being and not just another "disease." I feel that I am now almost fully recovered from depression. Stressful situations can still make me anxious however, so I try to plan my life in such a way that I am productive without teetering on the edge.

Good luck to you in achieving recovery. It can be done. More and more people are doing it and learning much in the process. I believe the key lies in making informed decisions and summoning the strength to be a proactive participant in one's treatment.

Hi

I just joined the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone. I have suffered from a variety of anxiety related disorders over the years and I know they can take a tremendous toll on a person's life. I have been "officially" diagnosed (among other things) with Generalized Anxiety Disorder' date=' Hypochondria, Panic Disorder, Depression, Phobias, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and have dealt with these conditions for the better part of ten years. Many of my family members are also sufferers to one degree or another. I take "benzos" and SSRI's but it still is'nt always easy.

Anyway, glad to be here and that I found this place!:)[/quote']

This place has a forum on anxiety if you are interested.

I suffer from OCD as well, but it is quickly, for lack of a better word: dying, because of a massive application of will on my part. If you ignore OCD, and do none of your rituals, nomatter what, (yes I know this is insanely hard, that's why it's a disorder!) OCD dies.

Nothing has ever worked better for me than regular physical activity; during really bad periods I have to sleep in work-out clothes and leave my sneakers right by the door, so that I don't even have to get dressed to leave the house. And I don't keep coffee in the house so I have to go out. Once you're out, it's easier to keep going for a few miles.