For UK readers of a certain generation it is time to mourn

imatfaal

I am afraid that behind all this news of Brexit and Boris the very sad news that Gordon Murray creator of the Trumpton Series of Children's Television has died. For those of a certain age he provided the TV and songs of our youth

Pew Pew Barney...Riding along in an army truck...Windy Miller...Raggy Dan.

Off home to get out my box set of Trumpton, Chigley, and Camberwick Green (This is not a joke - it was probably the best present my mum ever got me)

I wish I had a box set of those three, mostly to discover how windy miller timed his entry.

Edit/ and exit.

I will watch them and let you know BTW - most of the episodes are on youtube in full

Being from the backwoods of West Virginia I didn't get much past Dr. Suess ...

To give you an idea - it is the depiction of the sort of English village rural idyll that all the clowns who voted LEAVE want to get back to. But with incredibly well done puppetry and the voice of childhood Brian Cant.

I will watch them and let you know BTW - most of the episodes are on youtube in full

To give you an idea - it is the depiction of the sort of English village rural idyll that all the clowns who voted LEAVE want to get back to. But with incredibly well done puppetry and the voice of childhood Brian Cant.

It's interesting to me that everyone seems to want to get back to some imaginary time and place no matter what that time and place were really like. I guess we remember the good and forget the bad. I remember some childhood shows that few others seem to think of. Some of them were produced in or near the place I grew up. Mr. Cartoon aka Steamboat Bill and Merlin the Sea monster, Soupy Sales. Brings back some good memories of good times, somehow the trials and tribulations of that time are quite a bit less clear...

It's interesting to me that everyone seems to want to get back to some imaginary time and place no matter what that time and place were really like. I guess we remember the good and forget the bad. I remember some childhood shows that few others seem to think of. Some of them were produced in or near the place I grew up. Mr. Cartoon aka Steamboat Bill and Merlin the Sea monster, Soupy Sales. Brings back some good memories of good times, somehow the trials and tribulations of that time are quite a bit less clear...

Yep - Nostalgic Escapism. It is quite fun to watch people of my parents generation destroy the make-believe sometimes;

Nostaligist --> "Ah - the blitz spirit; London all pulled together"

My Mum --> "It wasn't like that for 99% of the time - apart from brief moments we were scared, hungry, mean, and hating every second of it"