Your favorite/most used language

apollo2011

What is your favorite/most used language?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your favorite/most used language?

• Visual Basic
    • C
    • C++
    • Delphi
    • Java
    • HTML

I like VB, but sometimes its hideously slow compared to C / C++. Especially in my pi calculator. The application in C calculates about twice to three times as fast as my visual basic application.

Of course, BASIC being the only language I know well, I must say its my favorite language :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SyntaXVB5

My favorite language is C, as C produces high-performance code with high-level behavior. Having access to all of the hardware-related modules is also a plus for me. I recommend Visual Basic if you're doing windows based applications, even though I personally don't like it's high-level handling.

It all depends on what I'm doing...

For scientific code that runs through huge arrays or that I'm going to parallelise: Fortran 90

For fast code, system drivers, or code that my be seen outside the scientific community: C/C++

If I have to use a GUI or it needs to run on various machines: Java

Lots of text procesing: Perl

Simple number-crunching: VBA in Excel

Webpages: PHP

It definitely helps knowing a lot of languages ;) In my opinion a programming language is like a tool. You do not use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, unless you don't have a hammer. Similarly, you don't use Fortran for fancy windows-type software and you don't use perl to write fast software.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SyntaXVB5

So you're informed, Fortran-90 produces the same machine-level code as C, and pascal. So theres no need to only use it for scientific reasons. It is also a good system-design language.

Originally posted by Dudde

HTML baby...heh heh heh:cool:

although I do hope one day to know more than just that;)

Learn CSS (easy), SQl (easy) and PHP (always more to learn) to go with your HTML and you'll be unstoppable.

Unstoppable.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Syntax

Sayonora is referring more to web-based programming. Although used with GTK, PHP can be used to write windows applications (although I dont recommend it). If you're writing web apps, PHP/MySQL, XML, and CSS are all good to learn (as well as a understanding of HTML). Stay away from things like ASP, and Microsoft SQL as they'll run your pockets for alot of money, for just learning. PHP and MySQL are all free and open source, so they can be learned for nothing.

ASP makes me cringe. It is ugly and unnecessarily complex. Plus you pretty much have to run it under a M$ server, which is just not the way to go at all.

I have heard of people using PHP as a "pure" programming language. It makes me laugh. What sort of apps have you seen it used for Syntax?

• 1 month later...

hey now lets not go bashing asp. It hasn't cost me anything to learn other than setting up an NT based server. Besides it was very easy to make the jump from visual basic to asp. Nothing about it seems too unnecessarily complex. I think its a fine language

Originally posted by blike

Old west space shooter? Sounds interesting. Good luck with the 3d engine in VB though. Usually 3d engines in BASIC are nice and slow :l

Tell me about it (here comes the website again ;) )

http://www.djglacial.com/index2.html

^ Sprite based engine written in actionScript. It was fun to write but turning from 3D to 2D coordinates was rather emulated. Think cathode ray tube and grade 10 trigonometry.

Edit - VB game was a joke. :)