Thunderstorm

kcestheroca

My mother told me not to wear anything with red, going near to animals, or go out of the house during thunderstorms. Is there any scientific explanation or relevance of wearing red to thunderstorms and lightning?

Your response is highly appreciated. Thank you

I've never heard of anything scientific related to wearing red during thunderstorms and it sounds very much like an old wives tale. She does have a point about staying inside, however. You're much safer inside because the current is directed to the ground. If you're really paranoid, then don't use any electrical devices/appliances with a wire or stand near electrical wiring. Getting struck by lightning is very unlikely though, so it's not something you need to be concerned about.

Edited by Sirona

Sirona, thank you for your time reading and responding to my post. This thought flashed back from what I have heard lately from news about some men died from lightning in Bangladesh. Some were killed as they got shelter from a cows yard. So anybody can be killed even inside a shelter? i'm just curious. What is in the lightning that can kill or even hurt people?

Sirona, thank you for your time reading and responding to my post. This thought flashed back from what I have heard lately from news about some men died from lightning in Bangladesh. Some were killed as they got shelter from a cows yard. So anybody can be killed even inside a shelter? i'm just curious. What is in the lightning that can kill or even hurt people?

They were probably barefooted and the ground was wet inside the shelter, allowing the current to travel inside through the bare, damp/wet earth in the shelter.

It is electric.

Edited by StringJunky

Perhaps you can link the article? without more information I can't give you the exact reason. I suspect that they were somewhere isolated and lightning (usually) strikes the tallest structure. It the shelter was constructed with metal, then this would also conduct electricity.

To answer your second question, if a lightning bolt strikes you directly then the very large amount of energy which passes through your body will result in internal burns. It depends on the strength of the bolt; it may kill you instantly, or result in injuries of varying degrees.

Not wearing red is a bizarre one. The lightning itself would have no preference, so perhaps it's related to the "don't go near animals" decree? Perhaps wearing red might attract the animals?

My mom used to tell us to stay away from the windows, but she never said why. I always dismissed this, thinking she meant that the lightning might be attracted to me through the glass. It wasn't until I was in high school that someone mentioned you stay away from windows because a close strike could cause glass to shatter and strike anyone near it. Sorry mom, I should have listened.

It wasn't until I was in high school that someone mentioned you stay away from windows because a close strike could cause glass to shatter and strike anyone near it. Sorry mom, I should have listened.

That one's a bit like the advice to stand in a doorway in an earthquake; the door frame helps protect you from falling objects.

Not wearing red is a bizarre one. The lightning itself would have no preference, so perhaps it's related to the "don't go near animals" decree? Perhaps wearing red might attract the animals?

My mom used to tell us to stay away from the windows, but she never said why. I always dismissed this, thinking she meant that the lightning might be attracted to me through the glass. It wasn't until I was in high school that someone mentioned you stay away from windows because a close strike could cause glass to shatter and strike anyone near it. Sorry mom, I should have listened.

That's very unlucky if it actually struck your window! o.o

The girls at school used to say red attracted the magpies (I've not seen any evidence for this). However, I've unfortunately been the victim of many swooping magpies, even when not wearing red.

That's very unlucky if it actually struck your window! o.o

The girls at school used to say red attracted the magpies (I've not seen any evidence for this). However, I've unfortunately been the victim of many swooping magpies, even when not wearing red.

It doesn't have to strike the window. There is a shockwave emanated when the two arcs. meet If you are close enough you can feel it. I've been twenty metres from one.

It doesn't have to strike the window. There is a shockwave emanated when the two arcs. meet If you are close enough you can feel it. I've been twenty metres from one.

My closest encounter was a strike between the north and south lanes of a big interstate highway, maybe 30 meters away. I felt it too, even in my truck, but the worst part was it was night, it was raining heavily, and I couldn't see a thing for a second or two afterwards, except the arcs that were etched across my vision. I was practically looking right at it when it happened.

My closest encounter was a strike between the north and south lanes of a big interstate highway, maybe 30 meters away. I felt it too, even in my truck, but the worst part was it was night, it was raining heavily, and I couldn't see a thing for a second or two afterwards, except the arcs that were etched across my vision. I was practically looking right at it when it happened.

The light knocked out your retina like a photographer's flash; sounds like a very close shave, being in a moving vehicle. Bet you felt your mortal coil rattle.

Edited by StringJunky

The light knocked out your retina like a photographer's flash; sounds like a very close shave, being in a moving vehicle. Bet you felt your mortal coil rattle.

Honestly, it was raining so hard with high winds, I wanted nothing more than to pull over and wait it out. But I know lightning often strikes the same place twice, so stopping after that one was out of the question.

Yours was even closer. What was THAT like?

Honestly, it was raining so hard with high winds, I wanted nothing more than to pull over and wait it out. But I know lightning often strikes the same place twice, so stopping after that one was out of the question.

Yours was even closer. What was THAT like?

I was about 10 years old and with a friend. We were in some open ground near a Nissan-type corrugated iron hut which we ran towards because it was raining stair-rods. The lightning hit the ground in front of us and we got this pressure wave and sound like a shotgun next to our ears. Petrified doesn't even describe it but we turned 180 and just ran away as fast as we could. In retrospect, it was the wrong thing to do; we should have laid down flat on our bellies because we were high points in that area standing up. I realise now, lightning discharges can come out of the ground as well as from the clouds.

Edited by StringJunky

I was about 10 years old and with a friend. We were in some open ground near a Nissan-type corrugated iron hut which we ran towards because it was raining stair-rods. The lightning hit the ground in front of us and we got this pressure wave and sound like a shotgun next to our ears. Petrified doesn't even describe it but we turned 180 and just ran away as fast as we could. In retrospect, it was the wrong thing to do; we should have laid down flat on our bellies because we were high points in that area standing up. I realise now, lightning discharges can come out of the ground as well as from the clouds.

Thank you guys for all your replies.

I understand that lightning produces some kind of electrical charges that post some hazard to people. Since this lightning and thunderstorms are naturally occurring in the environment, can you suggest ways on how we can be safe aside from staying away from conductors of electricity?

Thank you guys for all your replies.

I understand that lightning produces some kind of electrical charges that post some hazard to people. Since this lightning and thunderstorms are naturally occurring in the environment, can you suggest ways on how we can be safe aside from staying away from conductors of electricity?

http://www.cdc.gov/features/lightning-safety/