PLEASE HELP - CURIOUS

Mohammed :)

Hello Guys,

I would like to ask you:

How do I become a theoretical physicist?

I don't want to have a major in theoretical physics, just a minor, so what are the majors that I can have, while having a minor in theoretical physics?

What fields can I study? (Relativity, cosmology, etc)

I'm not good at math, so what is the solution? What requires math and what doesn't?

Odds are you are going to have to major in physics, or get a Phd (which you might be able to do with a non-physics major). An undergraduate degree generally does not distinguish between theory and experiment, at least in the US.

Math is an integral part of physics. There are several math courses that will be required for even a minor in physics.

Odds are you are going to have to major in physics, or get a Phd (which you might be able to do with a non-physics major). An undergraduate degree generally does not distinguish between theory and experiment, at least in the US.

Math is an integral part of physics. There are several math courses that will be required for even a minor in physics.

What jobs can I get if I major in physics?

How do you suggest I improve on math?

You have to practice. Luckily for you, there are tons of resources online for help. KhanAcademy is a good start.

It should get you through introductory linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations.

If you need a lower starting point, they've got that too. You can start from basic counting, if you need to go that far back. No matter where you're at, that site is a great starting point on the math.

They've even got an introductory physics section. I've not looked through that, but the table of contents looks like it might have most of the calculus done for you.

That's just a grounding. If you want to move on a basic grounding in something a bit more, there are university classes on YouTube for special relativity and quantum mechanics. Special relativity, you can do pretty much immediately after you go through the KahnAcademy physics section, since the math is basic algebra. Quantum Mechanics is calculus and linear algebra, so you'll need more of the math sections to get through it.

After going through those online resources, you should be able to tackle coursework much easier. As others have told you, you'll need an undergraduate degree and a PhD if you want to get a job as a physicist.

Math is an integral part of physics.

I see what you did there.

How do I become a theoretical physicist?

Maybe depending on exactly what you mean by this, typically one would understand a theoretical physicist to be someone with a PhD in theoretical physics or in something close to that and who is getting paid to work in that area.

I don't want to have a major in theoretical physics, just a minor, so what are the majors that I can have, while having a minor in theoretical physics?

No idea, the system I went through is different to the US system. The important thing is that you must gain enough knowledge to get onto a graduate programme. Maybe a masters degree and then a PhD is a sensible option if your undergraduate studies are not quite enough to go straight into a PhD.

What fields can I study? (Relativity, cosmology, etc)

A quick google will outline the basic branches of physics.

I'm not good at math, so what is the solution? What requires math and what doesn't?

Theoretical physics requires a good working knowledge of mathematics, but to what depth will depend on your own tastes.

Physics in general requires a working knowledge of basic mathematics. This includes experimental physics.

How do you suggest I improve on math?

You just have to stick at it. It takes times and a lot of effort, but you can improve.

The best method is to study lots of examples along side the theory.

What jobs can I get if I major in physics?

You can take a look at the Institute of Physics website.

http://www.iop.org/careers/undergrad--postgrad/your-future/page_64487.html