Would you choose specific traits for your children?

blike

If the technology was available, would you support designer babies? Why or why not?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If the technology was available, would you support designer babies? Why or why not?

• Yes
    • No, on moral grounds
    • No, on other grounds

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No as a matter of fact. Why an orange bill?

I was just looking at your avatar.

It's not a penguin?

Sorry. As you have rightly pointed out, I am in a silly mood tonight. But what if the government decided that they wanted your child to possess a particular trait. Goverments have a way of using people -- even children -- to suit their purposes.

Think Ender's Game.

Lol. Canadese......I always knew CBC was right when they said Americans were stupid.

add english to that list... i still cant stop thinking that canadians live in canadia.

seriously, some adults get there baby childeren piersed or tattoed, or dangle them over balconies; when there are people who are this irresponsible with theur babies, should we really even consider giving them the ability to desighn them?

and what about munchousens by proxy? if people are capable of poisoning their kids to get attention, then i dont think that an attention-grabbing desighner baby with a double-size flashing neon head is out of the question.

some of the things people do to their kids for their own benifit are disgusting enough allready, i dont think we should let people tinker about at the genetic level.

That was posted by AzurePhoenix. Not me. ;)

I always knew CBC was right...... :P

And yes, the fact that governments too could manipulate didn't quite cross my mind. Like Bean and Ender.....genetically engineered soldiers from birth.....

AzurePhoenix is a girl!!?? Wooh....no offence, but I don't know any girl that likes to cut up crawfish.

P.S Penguins live only in the South Pole.

Oh, oh! Cultural Red Alert! Many Hispanic parents have their baby girls' ears pierced at a very young age. Should we deny them licenses?

actually, i was thinking of what my piersist told me, about how surprisingly common it is for people to come in with childeren so young they have to be carried, and ask for their nipples to be piersed. and even a few clittoral/penal piersings requested for the baby... and upon being told that both nipple and penal peirsings are dangerouse if the done before the body has finished maturing, the parents generally walk off with an 'ill find someone else to do it then' attitude

AzurePhoenix is a girl!!?? Wooh....no offence' date=' but I don't know [i']any[/i] girl that likes to cut up crawfish.

I suspect she is a young woman of many talents -- her sense of humor being quite marked.

P.S Penguins live only in the South Pole.

I am dreadfully, dreadfully sorry.

And your avatar is . . . ?

actually, i was thinking of what my piersist told me, about how surprisingly common it is for people to come in with childeren so young they have to be carried, and ask for their nipples to be piersed. and even a few clittoral/penal piersings requested for the baby... and upon being told that both nipple and penal peirsings are dangerouse if the done before the body has finished maturing, the parents generally walk off with an 'ill find someone else to do it then' attitude

Geez! I even oppose circumcision.

I think what we have to watch out for are these parents who want to make their children carbon copies of their own personal and aesthetic values.

which is why im against allowing the ability to chose specific traits for your childeren, excepting chosing to fix genetic disorders

For now, this is what makes sense, but you would still run into the problem of what constitutes a genetic disorder.

For now, this is what makes sense, but you would still run into the problem of what constitutes a genetic disorder.

I suppose what constitutes a disorder or a desireable trait would depend on and change with the environment of the era at hand. I'm sure with the advent of such technology, there will even be a demand for professional advice, from a baby designing consultant, if you will.

I suppose what constitutes a disorder or a desireable trait would depend on and change with the environment of the era at hand. I'm sure with the advent of such technology, there will even be a demand for professional advice, from a baby designing consultant, if you will.

As of now, we call this genetic counseling. But even now there is disagreement about what disorders to take seriously. For instance alcholism is highly heritable and afflicts more men than women and is damaging in a multitude of ways. Logically speaking, parents with families with alcoholism in their background should choose only to have girls. But is that likely to quell the eagerness for a son, especially in those whose culture sees having a boy as all important?

More people would probably be upset if their children hand an extra finger on each hand, but this is a cosmetic consideration.

Oh, oh! Cultural Red Alert! Many Hispanic parents have their baby girls' ears pierced at a very young age. Should we deny them licenses? :rolleyes:
Geeze, sorry, not what I meant, no offense intended to anyone. I meant the crazy "parents" who would add three extra ears, tie-die skin-patterns or devil-horns to their babies and hang them out windows. My mom got my ears pierced when I was little, and I probably will for my daughters.

And yes, parenting should be a privelage, based on ability, psychological merit, and good genes.

My avatar is a penguin.

:D just a tip: if your reply comes a couple of posts after the question to which it responds, it might be worth quoting the question. otherwize people will wonder why you randomly declaired what your avatar is :D funny tho

AzurePhoenix is a girl!!?? Wooh....no offence, but I don't know any[/i'] girl that likes to cut up crawfish.
Sweety, there are lots of things I'll do that your average vixen won't ;), brutal mutilation not the least of which. I've faced the music quite a long time ago, and believe me, you haven't even begun to imagine the things that are wrong with me :confused:. Guess my parent's should have been more careful with my genes :D

Bean and Ender? Orson Scott Card rocks!!!!