Einstein wrong

dluther

I just finished talking with a man named Joao Magueijo after reading his book "Faster than the speed of light" which HE proves that einstein is wrong, anyone else read the book? any thoughts on this?

What do you think of VSL theory?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first of all I'd be highly skeptical of some no-name person who writes a book (vs. a research paper, which would be required to refute the experimental evidence supporting einstein).

Books do NOT prove anything wrong. Technical research papers presented to the scientific community (not the general public) do that.

Where's the evidence for it?

I've seen evidence that the speed of light has not been constant over large timescales. It's also a well known fact that light travels slower through mediums (like air or water), but I haven't read this book... so perhaps you can summarize what evidence the author presented.

I'm not fully done the book, but from what I hear from other's who have read the book is that he is found Einstein's theory of special relativity faulty. He is introducing a new theory of Varying Speed of Light. When I'm done reading the book I can provide you with his "evidence" proving his theorys...

Does anyone know of any good books/sites on the Cosmos?

I wish people would stop saying that because the speed of light changes with time, Einstein is Wrong. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what Einstein meant by "the speed of light is constant for all observers"

Yes the speed of light may change with time, apparently there is evidence (I have not looked into it in detail) But that would be as a result of the properties of the medium (vacuum) changing, rather than a flaw in Einstein's theory, proving him wrong.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

I wish people would stop saying that because the speed of light changes with time, Einstein is Wrong.

Like T_FLeX said, people who use "Einstein Wrong!!!!" as their header or title are just attention seeking.

Many such people are actually so ignorant of Einstein that they don't know he made some absolutely hooting great errors and was the first to admit it, proving himself wrong. They seem to think science is about being able to say "I'm right and you're wrong", or "I know something you don't know", rather than just understanding all the STUFF that goes on around us.

It's the whole pathetic, angsty "consume your betters" human underachievement supercompensation thing.

Originally posted by fafalone

E = mc2 is and always has been true.

No. This is not true. It has never been true, and it never will be true. No body is completely at rest.

that doesn't stop the relation being being true though.

and what about in it's own rest frame?

the summary says, "...idea that contradicts Albert Einstein? As Magueijo shows in this masterful book, his theory of the varying speed of light (VSL)... "

I'm a bit confused on this issue. I was under the assumption that einstein was saying the speed of light is constant for all observers in a vacuum. I didn't think he was talking about its absolute measurable speed; he was merely saying that all observers must measure light at the same speed in a vaccum, regardless of relative motion or graviational pull.

Is he saying that speed of light is always (temporally speaking) the constant C in a vaccum?

In a way, though, it doesn't matter whether Magueijo is right and Einstein was wrong. Because this is a book about ideas and their place in the world. It's about the way scientists work together and the things that drive them apart. It is a story of a scientific Speculation... I didn't expect such a negitave responce. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of the VSL theory, and what there opionin was on it?

Hehe, a good way to get people riled up is to say einstein is wrong ;) But yea, the subtitle of the book does include speculation. I doubt he says that he has proved einstein wrong without a doubt (maybe though). He's probably just speculating, which is where all ideas must begin.