Equal time for science in the church!

Pangloss

Therefore shouldn't science get equal time at the pulpit?

your insight never fails to amaze me :). If creationists get their way (and with bush as president, who knows) ,and their religious beliefs get taught alongisde, or instead of legit scientific theories such as big bang or biological evolution, then I say AMEN!!!

Churches get tax exemptions' date=' which mean that arguably they're being supported by the government, right?

Therefore shouldn't science get equal time at the pulpit?

Can I get an AMEN?![/quote']

While we are at it, have a President who stresses science-based initiatives as well as faith-based initiatives.

And I think we all know how good 501©(3) orgs are at keeping their noses out of public affairs....

Not only "the personal is the political;" everything is political. I know they don't always try too hard, but it would be difficult to espouse no viewpoint at all. :rolleyes:

While we are at it, have a President who stresses science-based initiatives as well as faith-based initiatives.

I love it! You and I should work for the Onion. :)

Not only "the personal is the political;" everything is political. I know they don't always try too hard, but it would be difficult to espouse no viewpoint at all.

No offense Coral, I know you're really thinking of more clearly non-partisan groups, but there are also groups like these:

http://www.americanprogress.org/

http://www.heritage.org/

Groups which should clearly be 527s, and clearly violate the principles of non-profit non-partisanship laid out in 501. It was shameful the way they acted in 2004.

But this thread is really just for fun. :) I'm not a two-wrongs kind of a guy.

your insight never fails to amaze me :). If creationists get their way (and with bush as president, who knows) ,and their religious beliefs get taught alongisde, or instead of legit scientific theories such as big bang or biological evolution, then I say AMEN!!!

Of course, religion won't be taught in schools because there are churches with tax breaks.

The Nation Science Foundation is part of the government, and they give grants out to scientists and researchers.

Churches get tax exemptions, which mean that arguably they're being supported by the government, right?

Only in a twisted world where "tax" means something else entirely. How about turning education over to the market and let parents determine what they will and won't support? Then, Lord willing, secularists can pool together their own resources and leave the rest of the country in peace.

Rev Prez

Amen!

(I thought tax-exemption implied the churches do not participate in government?)

Wouldn't that mean that any tax-empt entity is barred from political activity? Say, the political parties or MoveOn.org or American Atheists?

Rev Prez

This doesn't make any sense, when you consider that the only reason curches are exempt from taxes is "the separation of church and state." The church stays outt of the state, and the state stays out of the church.

Wouldn't that mean that any tax-empt entity is barred from political activity? Say' date=' the political parties or MoveOn.org or American Atheists?

Rev Prez[/quote']

Poor choice of words on my part. If I had chosen a better set of words, they might have been "I'm not sure what it means to say a 501c3 organization like churches, by the virtue of their tax-exempt status, are either supported or participate in government".

The point i was making is that why should science be exempt? All your doing is handing monsanto and the likes a big tax break.

I understand some scientific research is Governmetnally funded, but then it does not make sense to tax it, so i imagiine it probably isnt.

Churches aren't exempt from taxes, they get tax breaks from being humanitarian or a charity or whatever. Churches (most) have money, make money, and spend money, not to tax them becuase of some seperation of church and state doesn't make much sense.

That is incorrect. Churches and other institutes of worship are exempt from taxes, as long as they remain non-profit, they remain tax-exempt.

"churches have never been taxable"

"Congress shall make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

from http://hushmoney.org/501c3-facts.htm

The point i was making is that why should science be exempt? All your doing is handing monsanto and the likes a big tax break.

Monsanto probably get's enough gov't incentive as it is...they don't need anymore.