Opposite gravitation on earth???

Rahman

And? Do you have evidence that the magnetic force is somehow interacting with the gravitational force? Or is it as I described, that there is a gravitational force and a magnetic force separately acting on the globe?

if the forces themselves were interacting (and in this case, canceling), that means in the space between the globe and the magnet, there would be no force on anything else, either. That's not what is happening.

You are correct.

There is a gravitational force and a magnetic force separately acting on the globe.

IOW the 2 forces act separately on the same object.

What I conclude from that is that the 2 forces must have a common point (the object).

One can put that into an equation where at some point F1=F2, where in this case the 2 forces point into opposite directions.

I cannot see how that could happen if F1 was not interacting with F2.

I guess it goes like this: the object is made up of mass, so gravitation takes place. At the same time the object is magnetic (or magnetized) and thus magnetism takes place too. The 2 forces meet in the object and act equally in opposite direction. But for the forces to meet, they must interact, no?

You are correct.

There is a gravitational force and a magnetic force separately acting on the globe.

IOW the 2 forces act separately on the same object.

What I conclude from that is that the 2 forces must have a common point (the object).

One can put that into an equation where at some point F1=F2, where in this case the 2 forces point into opposite directions.

I cannot see how that could happen if F1 was not interacting with F2.

I guess it goes like this: the object is made up of mass, so gravitation takes place. At the same time the object is magnetic (or magnetized) and thus magnetism takes place too. The 2 forces meet in the object and act equally in opposite direction. But for the forces to meet, they must interact, no?

"But for the forces to meet, they must interact, no?" - No. If the forces interact (rather than both act on a single object independently) then we should be able to show this interaction by its effect on the forces when a third object is involved; we don't see this. F1 interacts with the object, F2 also interacts with the object - F1 does not interact with F2.

As I type this I am on a conference call (too much of my life is spent merely being tele-present on calls) - I am interacting with the guys in Piraeus, and I am interacting with you; but unless you now work in Iassonos Street it is unlikely that you are interacting with my Greek colleagues.

"But for the forces to meet, they must interact, no?" - No. If the forces interact (rather than both act on a single object independently) then we should be able to show this interaction by its effect on the forces when a third object is involved; we don't see this. F1 interacts with the object, F2 also interacts with the object - F1 does not interact with F2.

As I type this I am on a conference call (too much of my life is spent merely being tele-present on calls) - I am interacting with the guys in Piraeus, and I am interacting with you; but unless you now work in Iassonos Street it is unlikely that you are interacting with my Greek colleagues.

In your example, you are the object, not me.

So you all mean that the forces do indeed "meet" at the object, but they do not interact. Is that it?

We are held together by electromagnetic forces- essentially the attractions between electrons and nuclei.

And, in zero gravity, we are still held together because the forces do not interact.

If there were an interaction between em forces and gravity then the em forces would change when local gravity changes.

they don't.

In your example, you are the object, not me.

So you all mean that the forces do indeed "meet" at the object, but they do not interact. Is that it?

per the above two responses. In my example - you were influencing what I was doing, my greek colleagues were influencing what I was doing but there was no interaction whatsoever between you and my greek colleagues

per the above two responses. In my example - you were influencing what I was doing, my greek colleagues were influencing what I was doing but there was no interaction whatsoever between you and my greek colleagues

Funny example, but I think there was indeed an interaction between me and your Greek colleages. The interaction happened in you. I felt nothing, the same as the Earth feels nothing. Your Greek colleagues felt nothing. But you felt something, and you answered in both directions.

Sorry I am wasting your time and mine. I drop the case.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand Gravity is a unique force in the universe.

The four primary forces are:

Gravity

Electromagnatisam

Small Nuclear Force

Large Nuclear Force

Gravity is the property of large bodies of mass attracting one another. Reversing this process is pure science fiction.There are claims on the internet of "anti-gravity" devices. But in reality, if you mean to beat gravity the only method of doing this is thrust. There's some cool devices demonstrating that if you wrap copper around a big enough metal circle you can make it fly. Some claim this is anti-gravity. But the reality is it's merely sucking air in from the top and blowing it out the bottom.

All reactions required to beat gravity require this basic concept. All forms of gravity beating propulsion require some way of accelerating matter through the rear of the object.