IRC Chat -- again!!

Dave

Dave,

More importantly, the new IRC applet is now fixed. Go to the homepage (as in http://www.scienceforums.net/) and clicky on IRC Chatroom[/i'] on the left hand toolbar. This'll open the applet.

I just get a blank window. It just sits there being blank. Like it has nothing better to do than be an utter blank void. Like it blankly wants nothing better to be frustrate me with its blankness. It mocks me with its blankness. What the bl*nk? Blankety blank, blank blank. :-(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been bored and thinking, scary times...

Well aswell as my debate suggestion above, which would be cool, how about some kind of themed evenings say one evening a week there is a topid picked for people to mainly talk about. Of course there would be nothing to stop people talkng about other topics but just to occationally give the channel a direction and channel peoples minds to one topic instead of the general chat which is also good :D

Dave,

Let me know if it works now. I moved the template over to the default SFN theme so it should (theoretically) work.

It works :)

Now, all thats left is to fix the "Using IRC Chat" PDF, or convert its contents to HTML. (When I bring it up on my computer, all that appear are dots where the characters would be, so its completely unreadable.)

• 3 weeks later...

when it starts up and brings up the server/networks page you need to add a new network, call it whatever you want scienceforums or sfn or blackcobalt, something descriptive so you know what it is.

Then click on the network and click "edit" depending on your version you may need to click on a check box marked "go into edit mode". There will be a new server called :

newserver/6667

Change this too:

irc.blackcobalt.net/6667

There is a box marked Channels to join put the following into that box

#sfn

Click close in the edit window and change the details for nickname, and highlight the network you added by clicking on it and click on connect. If when you went into edit you just clicked the checkbox or it just made the window bigger instead of opening a new window there's no need to click close, just edit the nickname and click connect.

Hope to see you in there soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, irc used to work fine for me, but for the past few weeks it's been giving me trouble regardless of the client. it looks like it connects, then it looks up and finds the hostname, then it times out. i'm not exactly sure what any of this means, but it's not working. any help would be appreciated.

Any chance you can copy and paste the messages the client produces something like:

--- Looking up jersey.blackcobalt.net..

--- Connecting to 69.50.242.98.ip.nectartech.com (69.50.242.98) port 6697..

--- *** Looking up your hostname...

--- *** Found your hostname (cached)

can't copy for some reason, but here's what it says:

looking up jersey.blackcobalt.net

connecting to 69.50.242.98, port 6667

sending login information...

jersey.blackcobalt.net- ***Looking up your hostname...

jersey.blackcobalt.net- ***Found your hostname (cached)

timeout connecting to jersey.blackcobalt.net

then it tries again

• 4 weeks later...