How To Make Ammonia From Ammonium Hydroxide?

Colors

i always thought ammonium hydroxide was a solid for some reason, but now that i think of it, ya, it would be disolved ammonia in water. for making ammonia, heat an ammonium salt with a weak alkali. I use ammonium chloride and calcium carbonate.

if you have ammonia you can get the gas just by heating it and passing the resultant gas(s) through strong H2SO4.... .. if im not mistaken.

that`s a Great method for making Ammonium Sulphate (agricultural fertiliser) :)))

if you have ammonia you can get the gas just by heating it and passing the resultant gas(s) through strong H2SO4.... .. if im not mistaken.

It gives ammonium sulfate as YT said and process is very exothermic. Glassware that contains small amount of conc H2SO4 may break if it is exposed to ammonia gas. I once tested this with success.

Silica Gell is an excellent dessicant and will not react with the ammonia, it`s also re-usable.

polyacrylamide is very good too, and quite easily obtained, but you MUST allow plenty of room for expansion as it can hold up to 400x its own weight in water!

I understand that solid ammonium hydroxide does not exist, but i was wondering. In school, we made NI3, after the iodine had soaked long enough we decanted the NH4OH into a beaker and set it aside. I had offered to clean it up, but the teacher said no. It was left in the fume hood for quite a while, enough for the water to evaporate. There were white crystals in there. So, what could that be?

Then I would without a doubt say that it was KI. Did your teacher do the preparation of all this? If so, it's possible that he/she has done this before so they have a premade solution of ammonia/KI. Otherwise, he/she put the KI into there without your class noticing.

Nope, I watched her the whole time. She got the NH4OH from a locked cupboard, the iodine from the shelf, the apparatuses (apparatusii?) needed, and put me to work. She couldnt remember how to make it, so I had to look it up. I think she said that the last time she made it was in college (52 years ago!). She called them 'Fly crackers'.

I'll ask her what it was tommorow when I go to school. I was the only one that did it out of 12 people.

Well, there is a VERY remote possibility that it could be ammonium iodide (NH4I), but that stuff would behave pretty similarly to silver nitrate in that it darkens over time but is also VERY hygroscopic.

• 3 years later...
how to make 26% amonia water from solid amonia hydroxide

palitha51

...As mentioned many times earlier in this thread, solid ammonium hydroxide doesn't exist. NH3(aq), ammonia dissolved in water, is sometimes called ammonium hydroxide. If you want a 26% solution by mass, you can just dissolve ammonia into water until this is achieved (as ammonia is very soluble in water at room temperature), for example approximately 26g of NH3 in 74g of H2O.

you`l need to mix a Base such as NaOH and an ammonium salt such as Ammonium chloride or sulphate (don`t use the nitrate), and then heat this gently, this will give you ammonia gas which can then be dissolved in water.

use an upside down funnel just below the water line to present this gas with, thereby eliminating suck-back.

do it in a good fume hood also!

The by product of the reaction of ammonia and iodine is ammonium iodide. Very hygroscopic, but it might have been responsible for the crystals in very dry weather.

Was the "iodine" in the bottle crystals or was it a solution? If it was a liquid then it was almost certainly in solution with KI which would explain the crystals.

• 3 months later...

So if I want to make a 14% Ammonium Hydroxide Solution with Distilled H20 I would just have 86% distilled water and 14% Ammonia mixed together at room temp?

I know ammonium hydroxide doesn't exist btw, but I'm using that term because my science experiment uses that term.