Why so few females on this forum?

daisy

Haha, I don't know. Most girls just don't seem interested in this kind of stuff (at least the ones I know).

And yes, we're bottoming out with active users right now :P But hey, looking at the post trends they come in waves. We just happen to be riding in between them now.

Anyhow, I don't think inviting my girl friends to post would do much good. just not their thing ;)

Guest Duncan Bourne

I find that odd as in my experience woman are just as curious about science and stuff as men. May be I just know weird women which is fine by me

We're a rather young group. At this point, I think females are significantly more interested in being attractive and other superficial things of this nature. Women may mature faster, but they are much slower to admit it and reveal themselves as adults.

I think it would be disappointing if women were less interested in science - and I don't believe that's true. It's probably more to do with the fact that we still have to cope with chauvenist crap - I know because I have met it during my working life. Guys who still think women have no business being in science. Up their's I say;) !.

Most girls have lost their interest in science by age 12.

Source: TV Commercial :D (encouraging parents to stimulate their daughters interest in science).

girls also aren't as likely to participate in an online forum.

a lot of the girls I know are more interested in going out or hanging out or dressing up (I know several that post online in forums, at deviantart is a good place but there are 1,000,000+ members...we'll have to work on that..) or something else like that than actually participating in science

the most active girls in science that I know right now is either my sister or my friend, and neither of them are very interested in it (they're getting there, I'm working on it;))