Glowing Rock

Nevermore

It is indeed hard to find an ore sample radioactive enough to cause cancer through the basement walls. If the rock was actually green (not just the glow), it could've been torbernite (which can easily reach over 100 000 CPM), but I'd still find it hard to believe that it could cause cancer, except in a very long period while constantly being near it.

There is an overwhelming presence of new members with no intellectuall posts at all, spewing nothing but IM/l33t while contributing nothing to this site. What can we do about this?
My great-great grand parents had a glowing green rock in their basement, and they got cancer. What do you think this rock is, besides radioactive?

Kryptonite.

Hehe good one Ophie. :) And speaking of which, do you have collegues studying extra terrestrial rocks (on Earth of course :) ), or have you done such research yourself?

"Phosphorus maybe?"

White phosphorous does indeed "glow", and rather brightly too, but that's just it reacting with oxygen. It would react and be consumed rather quickly even deep beneath the Earth, not to mention the event when it's dug up.

"Phosphorus maybe?"

White phosphorous does indeed "glow"' date=' and rather brightly too, but that's just it reacting with oxygen. It would react and be consumed rather quickly even deep beneath the Earth, not to mention the event when it's dug up.[/quote']

or the Garlic like stench it gives off during this reaction.

I am however curious that even though it was a long time past, Autopsies were still done where possible, and so this "Rock" would have been mentioned somewhere along the line or implicated.

after all, YOU know about it! so why wouldn`t They?

I seriously doubt your grandparents have a rock radioactive enough to glow in their basement. Have you seen it?

great great grandparents. and no, I have not seen it, it is long gone. However, it did indeed glow bright green.

I feel I must ask.

HOW did you come about this story? it obviously wasn`t from the home owners, and has evidently been passed down for several generations (accuracy may be questionable as a result).

I`m perfectly happy to go with my 1`st opinion, after hearing more and having time to think of alternatives, I`ll stick with post #2 :)

And speaking of which, do you have collegues studying extra terrestrial rocks (on Earth of course :) ), or have you done such research yourself?
Regretably no. Though formally educated in geology it was so long ago that I have to consider myself formerly educated in geology. Ironically, my work revolves around finding the most efficient ways to destroy rocks, so we can get to the oil. Curiously, if I survive to retirement I am contemplating a return to University to study some aspect of planetology, to demonstrate to myself that old brains can still function.

I feel I must ask.

HOW did you come about this story? it obviously wasn`t from the home owners' date=' and has evidently been passed down for several generations (accuracy may be questionable as a result).

I`m perfectly happy to go with my 1`st opinion, after hearing more and having time to think of alternatives, I`ll stick with post #2 :)[/quote']

My mother brought it up during dinner.

• 4 months later...

Radium itself doesn't glow without the aid of Phosphorus.

If the rock itself was radioactive and glowing, they wouldn't have to worry about cancer. They would have died from radiation poisoning long before cancer.

Again, if the rock was radioactive enough to emit visiable light, your grandparents would have been dead in pretty quick fasion. Your not going to get cancer a few years later from it. You're going to die in a matter of days, mostly from radiation burns. Also a rock that radioactive will also be very hot to the touch, if not hot enough to burn through things like wood and the like. Was there any mention of anything like that?

I seriously doubt the rock in question was a 'hollywood-style' glowing radioactive rock.

If the rock was actually green (not just the glow), it could've been torbernite (which can easily reach over 100 000 CPM), but I'd still find it hard to believe that it could cause cancer, except in a very long period while constantly being near it.

Could also have been Autunite (hydrated calcium uranyl phosphate),a yellow - greenish fluorescent mineral, it will glow in the dark for a while after soaking up some light. Varnished samples were popular mineral specimens at the turn of the century.