Give your Opinion !

Commander

Correction, mass (inertial) is an invariant. What increases is the total energy, not the mass:

[math](m_0c^2)^2=E^2-(pc)^2[/math]

So I get the idea concerning magnetism when there is an alignment, but I'm unclear about heat adding [effective] mass. Could you expound on that?

Energy has a gravitational effect as long as there is no motion, energy involved with the motion (kinetic energy) doesn't seem to affect the rest mass at any stage. Is that also right?

Kinetic energy also has an equivalent gravitational effect.

Now I am confused. I thought there has a lot of talk about saying the rest mass stays the same!

Rest mass does stay the same.

The "relativistic mass" is the rest mass plus the energy. This is why objects are said to increase in mass as the velocity increases. (A lot of people don't like this being described as relativistic mass, as it can be confusing.)

• 2 weeks later...

As X, Y and Z have different energy levels I would say that the weight is different for all 3.

For Z not only is there a difference in energy levels but there is also the gap between the 2 iron circles, this contains energy and mass to add to the total (or are they weighed without the gap?)

As X, Y and Z have different energy levels I would say that the weight is different for all 3.

For Z not only is there a difference in energy levels but there is also the gap between the 2 iron circles, this contains energy and mass to add to the total (or are they weighed without the gap?)

good point