How to remove sodium acetate from solution w/o burning it

Elite Engineer

I've been trying to make crystallized sodium acetate to make acetic acid (to then make banana oil). I mix vinegar and sodium bicarbonate and then try to boil off the

water, however I keep burning the sodium acetate. Is there any wasy i can remove the sodiuma acetate w/o destroying it?

~ee

Edited by Elite Engineer

Seems a bit odd. I wouldn't think it would burn readily. Do I you happen to know if there are significant amounts of any other contaminants in there? Vinegar often has sugar in it, which may explain the burning, though it's supposed to be quite a minor constituent. How are you boiling the water off? I would avoid using temperatures too much in excess of the boiling point.

Seems a bit odd. I wouldn't think it would burn readily. Do I you happen to know if there are significant amounts of any other contaminants in there? Vinegar often has sugar in it, which may explain the burning, though it's supposed to be quite a minor constituent. How are you boiling the water off? I would avoid using temperatures too much in excess of the boiling point.

sorry for the late reply, I haven't had a working computer for a couple days now. I react equal molar ratios of vinegar and sodium bicarbonate for about a half hour (about 200ml total volume) to ensure there is no excess vinegar..also I add a bit more sodium bic. to make sure there is no more vinegar. Then I eat the solution on a hot plate for about 50 min. As the water begins to boil off, and there is a visible sodium acetate solid forming. However, EVERYTIME, just as there is maybe 10-20 ml of water left, the sodium acetate begins to brown and burn, to the point where I can only use at a fraction of it.

Use a steam bath or Bain Marie for the last bit of the evaporation (though it will take a long time)

I never heard of it before, but I can try it.