why don't salts react with carbonyl groups?

Elite Engineer

Something I've never understood in chemistry is why don't salts (i.e. NaCl, NaBr) react with

carbonyl or alkyl halides?

-In theory, the Na and Cl dissociate in solution. The carbonyl or alkyl halide is added, and the

negative anion (Cl, Br, etc) reacts with the positively influenced carbon atom...but this doesnt

happen. Should a catalyst be present, or does theire need to be an immense amount of heat/ energy

for the reaction to take place?

~ee

What would reflux do to make it work? The Finkelstein reaction doesn't need to be under reflux. You do need anhydrous acetone, though.

As I said, akyl halides will undergo halide exchange. See here. The same is unlikely to be true for acid halides or acids. If you performed the reaction in water, the acid halide would hydrolyse. If you performed it in another solvent, the only way I could see it happening is if you used a phase transfer catalyst or some other solvent that exploited differing solubilities. Still, it seems unlikely that it should happen.

Well I thought that refluxing it would supply enough energy assist the reaction.

So you're saying if you have a salt (i.e. NaCl) and anhydrous acetone, and then introduce acetic acid and/or a alkyl

halide, the Cl- would react with the carbonyl carbon or the carbon attached to the halide? I see that NaI works, and

that's because I is a great nucelophile. However, if you were to use NaCl, NaBr, etc, there would be reaction, even

though Cl and Br are decent nucelophiles. I'm asking, why is this?

-I was assuming you would need to reflux with the NaCl to give it the extra "kick: of energy it needed to react.

~ee