I need some help please

drz

I know you guys here are smart. So here I am seeking some advice. I've recently been married, quit my pie inventory job at P&G and moved 150 miles away. I found work quick, for a $4 pay cut. Worked there for about 4 months when the company decided to fire me because the inventory was coming up short. Nevermind that the store has no security systems, no way of preventing theft, and a poor setup.

Anyhow, this gets you to my current point. I'm unemployed, and tired of working for people who will scapegoat you in the blink of an eye just to get out of there screwups. Before I lost my job I obtained a membership with a wholesale dropshipper, much like SMC but way better. Anyhow, I've tried my hand at online auction sites, without much success. The problem I keep running into is exposure.

Anyhow, I had a thought today, perhaps I can use my wholesale membership to supply local retail shops with counter items, you know, lighters, knives, little toys etc. The stuff you buy on impulse as your checking out at the counter.

But my problem here is I know very little about how to get started. Selling online I don't really need any licenses or stuff, but out here on the street it is a much different story.

Another thought of mine has been to start a computer type company. I also have access to many computers and components. I want to get in on the trend of integrating multimedia in autos, and the market in this area is huge, but very little in the way of suppliers or installers, both of which are within my capabilities.

Anyways, I'm basically stuck, and looking for some advice on climbing out of this whole I'm in. You fellas are smart, I look up to many of you, so now I'm asking for some good advice.

And by no means am I advertising, not quite sure the policy on this, but I'm strictly wanting advice.

Before you do anything else, go talk to your local SCORE representative. That stands for "Service Corps of Retired Executives".

They have a website I just found that is here: http://www.score.org/

You can ask some questions on line, but I suggest you search their site for a rep in your area who can advise you. Their services are FREE.

They only thing I can say is to not even bother trying to sell computer parts. You will either be competing with a Vietnamese guy in California getting stuff shipped to him from relatives in the mother land (see pricewatch.com) or the likes of CDW, Dell, IBM, etc. In other words, there's really no room for a new guy.

You could also try suing for being wrongly fired. Are you a minority? (OK, just kidding on this one).

OK, this one will require some research, but I think you have the rest of the requirements, which are: personality, smarts and initiative. Everyone I know has at least 5 different remote controls in their home, for TV, DVD, CD, stereo, you name it. I know they sell universal, all-in-one remotes that can be programmed with all the major brands, and some of the not-so-major ones. You can download manuals for many electronic devices from the internet.

So you would knock on doors, pass out fliers, whatever, letting people know you will give them one remote control that does everything, along with the instructions to use it. The toughest part is trust, since you would be dealing with people's stuff, finding out what they own, etc. I have some ideas on this, if you're interested then PM me.

Hey, thanks for the ideas, that score site seems to be very usefull.

Phi, about the time I read your article, I tried turning the radio down with the tv remote, pretty ironic. Not a bad idea, I'll get in touch with ya soon.

As to my qualifications, I have little, a ged and a customer service specalist certificatoin from ecpi. Other then that I've managed a resturaunt at 17, worked in shipping receiving, and about 4 months of retail. I also do construction, siding, windows, etc and all sorts of electronics. I've self taught myself alot about computers since about 1990.

But thanks for the ideas and advice

Phi, about the time I read your article, I tried turning the radio down with the tv remote, pretty ironic. Not a bad idea, I'll get in touch with ya soon.
This is the kind of thing where you could get really good at it real fast. If you've never done a home-based business before, here is a good thread that discusses it: http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?p=139114#post139114

If you could get a few people to let you set them up with a single remote, then give you a written testimonial you could give to others (or referrals, even better) it would really help. Here's a marketing tip: get some computer feed address labels (page of 30 to fit in your printer), then use a program like Word to print your company name (how about "Remote Control Freak"?), slogan (how about "One Remote Fits All"?) & phone so you can stick a label on the back of every remote you program for somebody.

I have no idea how long it would take to program a uni remote. You should get one and do your own system to see how difficult it is. Your selling points should be trust and convenience. Your clients are folks who spent a ton-o-bucks on home entertainment equipment and are frustrated because they don't know how to set it up properly (configuration could be another service you offer). Remember that you'll get better as you go along, so it's like giving yourself a raise as you get experience.