Guns

blike

Should the private citizen be allowed to keep and own guns?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the private citizen be allowed to keep and own guns?

• Yes!
    • No way!

fafalone said in post # :

MrL, you are no longer a member of our staff and telling me what should and should not be insulting is insubordination. ANY FURTHER REPLIES BY ANYONE ON THIS MATTER WILL BE DELETED.

But what insults are acceptable :confused:

Furthermore, it was a valid reply, because you specified that he should choose his words more carefully, which implies that he was using incorrect words; my statement proved that he was using the language correctly.

Oh, and I don't see how it's insurbordination (by the definition of that word). All I'm doing is critiquing use of language, not application of forum rules.

I`ve already outlined my reasons for keeping them and what we use them for. there`s nothing subversive going on at all, I bought these guns legaly, I passed my range probation under the carefull eye of the range officer for 6 months and writen (semi-psych) test. I passed.

these guns are all reg`d, hence I said if they got stollen it would take one phone call, and any action taken with them would not effect me (a bit like lost credit cards).

I`m also perfectly legal to own and operate them :)

don`t you think that if I weren`t, the fact that they are registered would not have resulted in a knock at my front door?

as for the rest, you don`t need to know anymore about me or what I do or don`t do, suffice to say, I have these guns at home and am perfectly within the law to do so :)

I thought there was a unilateral ban on handguns; as you said yourself, even police officers aren't allowed to have them at home.

It's also not describing the reason you want the gun, just the reason for not giving them up, which is an identical reason for anyone wanting to not give up their property.

YT2095 said in post # :

well, hard to explain really if you`re not a shootist, but basicly it`s nice to use and train on different sorts of gun (boredom factor most probably). some time you may wish to use a hand gun other days a long riffle. sometimes you`ll get days when your fave gun just doesn`t seem to be doing "it" right, so you try a different one that is (it`s all down to YOU really, not the gun).

the fun is a bit like playing darts (wonder when they`ll bann them!?) you try to get the best score you can and beat your shooting partner, but at the same time you`re getting practice in and becoming a better shot. it`s got sweet phuk all to do with killing things, far from it, it`s all about getting good and efficient, and then put yourself up againg the next guy that recons he`s a good shot, clean target each, lets see who wins.

5 guns is all I can afford for now, but they are of such a variety, that at least one of them will serve you well in a shoot out :)

I did say I`de mentioned why we Keep them.

also I explained that I don`t HAVE TO give them up!

what else is it you want for petes sakes, I`m quoting my own post to illustrate this.

YT2095 said in post # :

I did say I`de mentioned why we Keep them.

also I explained that I don`t HAVE TO give them up!

what else is it you want for petes sakes, I`m quoting my own post to illustrate this.

I'd like you to answer the question that I asked, ideally, especially given that it was a general one.

are you stoned or something?

I`ve already explained what we use them for.

and I keep them because I don`t have to give them up and I`m allowed to, so that I may perform that outlined (several times) as in my last post!

anymore you don`t need to know!

what part don`t you undertand?

my GUNS are exempt and so am I for owning them, and yes EVEN in the UK :)

it`s no big deal! if it WERE I`de worry about myself, fact is, responsible people should be allowed to own them if they wish to.

nothing more, nothing less.

and by the way, this thread was about owning GUNS fullstop, not just handguns before we all risk going off topic :)

YT2095 said in post # :

are you stoned or something?

I`ve already explained what we use them for.

That's not the same as why you NEED guns. I can use a pencil to scratch my nose, but it's not a very good justification of why we need pencils.

YT2095 said in post # :

it`s no big deal! if it WERE I`de worry about myself, fact is, responsible people should be allowed to own them if they wish to.

nothing more, nothing less.

Why?

(Which is kind of the question I ASKED BEFORE)

because it`s a tool used for a legitimate sport.

you may as well say why would someone that plays baseball need a bat? It can hurt people!.

or why can a darts player carry about darts on thier person.

it`s all madness!!

I`m a cook and carry my knives when I go out to cook, so now I`m a mad axe murderer!? and that`s basicly the way it`s portrayed!

YT2095 said in post # :

because it`s a tool used for for a legitimate sport.

you may as well say why would someone that plays baseball need a bat? It can hurt people!.

it`s all madness!!

I`m a cook and carry my knives when I go out to cook, so now I`m a mad axe murderer!? and that`s basicly the way it`s portrayed!

If it's a tool for a legitimate sport, why not use BB guns or the like? There's not much you lose from using them, and the safety gain is enormous. Whilst it's true that almost anything can be a weapon, I don't feel that an item that is designed to kill really fits alongside items which are purely functional, and of little comparative danger.

YT2095 said in post # :

because it`s a tool used for a legitimate sport.

it`s all madness!!

Glider said in post # :

Handguns (pistols & revolvers) were designed solely for the purpose of shooting people. They are absolutely no use for anything else. They may be used for target practice, but even then, they're a bit pants (excluding the purpose built, counterweighted, long barreled olympic target pistols, but people never buy them for personal use). The only reason a hangun exists is to be used on other people. That's what they were designed for. I think that whether or not they are used to 'indiscriminately' kill is more a feature of the owner than of the design of the weapon.

I know what you mean, but then people with epilepsy, narcolepsy or schizophrenia aren't allowed driving licences. Problem is, if you can buy a weapon at 21, that leaves an awful lot of time. The majority of people don't develop severe psych. disorders (e.g. schizophrenia) until their mid-late 30s/early 40s. Same with severe depression (tends to occur in middle age), and severe stress related conditions.

I've had the opportunity to have a play with several kinds of gun; pistols and SMGs (blowing little holes in things from 50 meters); rifles (SLR), LMGs and GPMGs (blowing little holes in things from 300 meters); and 'proper' guns, (blowing things to oblivion from several miles away). It was a blast at the time, but I wouldn't want to own any of them. I do believe that anything other than a shotgun or a purpose built hunting rifle, is simply a weapon, the sole purpose of which is to blow little holes in other people.

Radical Edward said in post # :

you play a game with baseball bats, knifes are used for cutting food and other such things. Guns are for nothing but killing. you can argue all you like that "but they are for sport too" but then why have semi automatic weapons, weapons that reload automatically? At the most for a sport you need a single shot weapon.

This is old ground YT.

YT2095 said in post # :

no $hit sherlock, I wasn`t the one that quoted them all!

actualy why DID you quote them all? just to make your own point?

You appear to be operating under the assumption that atm and I are the same person.

Furthermore, why did you change 'Shit' to '$hit'? They both mean exactly the same, both convey the same offense (unless having a line through the s makes all the differece), and I've only seen things like the latter regularly before when there's a censor in place.

Oh, and you still haven't answered my question.

you play a game with baseball bats, knifes are used for cutting food and other such things. Guns are for nothing but killing. you can argue all you like that "but they are for sport too" but then why have semi automatic weapons, weapons that reload automatically? At the most for a sport you need a single shot weapon.

So that if you miss, you have time to shoot at your target again before its gone.

And automatic weapons are very useful for taking todays modern superanimals, like the flying squirrel.

YT2095 said in post # :

no $hit sherlock, I wasn`t the one that quoted them all!

actualy why DID you quote them all? just to make your own point?

I'm sorry. I'll try and be clear here.

1) Your argument about baseball bats and knives has been previously commented on in the thread. Recycling the argument is fine, but you make no adjustment for the previously stated counterpoint. The argument becomes pointless as a result

2) You still haven't answered the question of why you are 'allowed' illegal firearms, as MrL pointed out. Your relying on us trusting that your some form of MI5 agent, who spends all his day on the internet. Your avoiding answering direct questions on why you are given dispensation or the nature of the work that requires you to hold the handguns. That's not really a convincing way of putting people at ease. We all know the firearms the UK police and army issue are not those that you possess, the sig and the PP7, and legal possession at home is a fairly remote possibility due to that fact.

3) That in itself is suspicious without needing to refer to the laws previously stated. However we have touched on the fact that it appears illegal. I swore an oath to uphold the law, would you expect me to ignore such an oath because you have a pretty face? I expect you do have a boring reason for possession, however it would be far less effort for yourself to simply state it.

4) You stated quite clearly in post #130 you wanted people to guess why you were allowed firearms. That seems a bit antagonistic, and unsurprisingly resulted in antagonism.

Is that clearer? It's such a simple question, it should not take much time to answer.

1) I`m sure it would be used again and again as it`s a perfectly valid one that no-one outside of the proffesion seems to understand except for the odd few that have a little more open mindedness.

2) Nope you`re quite right and nor will I or SHOULD I.

mi5 agent???? please! gimme a break and get out of that televission box or comic book for petes sakes, you`re doing yourself no favours there!

3) what the smeg are you on about????

"I swore an oath to uphold the law, would you expect me to ignore such an oath because you have a pretty face?"

secondly I`m sure it would be "far less effort" fact is, what`s left is still a free country and I choose NOT TO say :)

4) "4) You stated quite clearly in post #130 you wanted people to guess why you were allowed firearms. That seems a bit antagonistic, and unsurprisingly resulted in antagonism. "

erm.. did I????

I`ve just read that post in question and NOWHERE did I ever state guess why ANYTHING!

I`f you`re going to tell lies then make sure it can`t be verified by others reading your posts and making references to other peoples posts, when you are clearly to ALL wrong!

as for antagonism, ROFLOL! :)

YT2095 said in post # :

I`m sure it would be used again and again as it`s a perfectly valid one that no-one outside of the proffesion seems to understand except for the odd few that have a little more open mindedness.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, except to assume that we're stick in the muds who want to ban guns just to ruin everyone's fun.

YT2095 said in post # :

Nope you`re quite right and nor will I or SHOULD I.

mi5 agent???? please! gimme a break and get out of that televission box or comic book for petes sakes, you`re doing yourself no favours there!

OK, we'd better assume that you feel that you're above the law then?

YT2095 said in post # :

what the smeg are you on about????

"I swore an oath to uphold the law, would you expect me to ignore such an oath because you have a pretty face?"

secondly I`m sure it would be "far less effort" fact is, what`s left is still a free country and I choose NOT TO say :)

I can pretty clearly gather what he's getting at. ie. That you're involved in illegal activity.

YT2095 said in post # :

erm.. did I????

I`ve just read that post in question and NOWHERE did I ever state guess why ANYTHING!

'I could continue, but that would be boring and make it harder for you :)'

Sayonara³ said in post # :

I cba reading up but I'm pretty sure YT said his guns were registered and legal.

Given that he refuses to justify that statement, I'm having a hard time believing it. Read ATM's post for more in depth commentary!

Frankly, I do not understand this at all.

Do not understand your insistence on why one needs guns. There is precious little in this world one needs, most revolves around wants. It's a silly question to ask, and sillier to demand an answer.

Nor do I understand why you are so hung up on the legal status. He has nothing to justify to you, you believe him or you do not, your choice.

If the legal status of YT's gun possession had even any remote bearing on the topic of the thread most his responses could do here is serve to weaken or strengthen any argument he was making. It has none, and frankly is none of your business. Nor did he make it "your business" beyond whatever of his personal life he cares to reveal.

The only remote connection or relevance I can find is perhaps you do not consider wanting to shoot for sport valid reason for allowing gun possession. If so fine, but it get back on that not YT's personal situation, or otherwise state explicitly what your purpose here is

And just in case anyone gets any wrong ideas here, it is only the question of irrelevant personal attacks has me making any comments