Death Penalty for Minors Ruled Unconstitutional

blike

Hmmm. I wouldn't call it nodding to pubic opinion' date=' rather than acceding to the fact that the justice system in America was based on the English court of law which has since repelled the death penalty. Draconian punishment had it's place in society, however it's no longer a viable or agreeable method in the eyes of the international court.

I feel this type of politically motivated decision fits with Americas attempt to present itself on the international stage as the Boy Scout, and not a vengeful and vindictive cowboy.[/quote']

Yeah, well we stopped worrying about what "Engllish law" said more than 200 years ago. :rolleyes:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the Judicial Branch might be trying to make up for the appalling hijinks of the Executive Branch? I am afraid that that is rather like putting makeup on one's A$$ to cover the wart on one's nose.

Well, if you say so coral, we will have to take your word on that. :D

Yeah, well we stopped worrying about what "Engllish law" said more than 200 years ago. :rolleyes:

I cannot believe you really think this. English Common Law had a such significant influence upon our own law that it is still very much a factor in decisions made today. Do you think all cultural connections and common bonds were severed by the Revolutionary War?

I suppose you see this thinking as patriotic?

I'm not sure who your trying to impress here, but infantile responses don't reflect well on your general character. At least present the pretence of abiding by the forum rules.

Perhaps you would prefer....up yours? :rolleyes:

I cannot believe you really think this. English Common Law had a such significant influence upon our own law that it is still very much a factor in decisions made today. Do you think all cultural connections and common bonds were severed by the Revolutionary War?

I suppose you see this thinking as patriotic?

Actually, I think that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land--don't you? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Macroscopic

The death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. The death penalty is more than twice as expensive as life in prison.

If you consider the expense of the appeals process' date=' I believe it is quite expensive to put someone to death.[/quote']

Is that what I said? I messed up then. This is what it says now, and what I thought I said:

The death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. The death penalty is more than twice as expensive as life in prison.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=108&scid=7

Your question has no relevance to my post.

The Hell it doesn't.

You suggest that English law should influence decisions made today by the SCOTUS.

I respond to that by pointing out that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land, just as the Constitution says that it is, and you say it has no relevance to what you posted?

What have you been smoking? :rolleyes:

Your supreme law comes from a document that keeps getting amended?

How confusing that must be for the average citizen.

Oh no, it is not at all confusing. It has only happened 27 times so far, and the first 10 amendments were passed even before the Constitution was ratified. Those first 10 amendments are what we call "The Bill of Rights" and provide the underlying support for the rights of the citizen. So, 17 additional amendments since 1789 is not exactly willy nilly.

The amendment process requires a 2/3 vote in the House of Representatives, a 2/3 vote in the Senate and then must be ratified by 3/4 of the states. It is a difficult undertaking and we think rightfully so because the founding fathers were trying to avoid a "tyranny of the majority" that can occure when the rules of government are easily changed to suit the latest fad. :)

The British Constitution is an uncodified constitution which is in effect a living breathing document that reflects the changing situations over the 800 years it has existed. Citizens of the UK can't find themselves in the rather bizarre situation where the law is at odds with the constitution, as the entire society of government and law is interrelated. It also protects society from semantic reinterpretations of grammar. It's odd, as the US constitution is based on the British, that since it's creation the US constitution has not been utilized to take into account the passing of time.

The British Constitution is an uncodified constitution which is in effect a living breathing document that reflects the changing situations over the 800 years it has existed. Citizens of the UK can't find themselves in the rather bizarre situation where the law is at odds with the constitution, as the entire society of government and law is interrelated. It also protects society from semantic reinterpretations of grammar. [u']It's odd, as the US constitution is based on the British, that since it's creation the US constitution has not been utilized to take into account the passing of time.[/u]

Actually it has.

That is what the amendment process is for. We amended it to abolish slavery, to allow women to vote, to outlaw booze, then to reinstate the legality of booze, to lower the age of majority to 18, to allow for an income tax, to insure equal protection under the law to all citizens and on and on.

Here is a copy of the US Constitution:

http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Constitution.html

Here are the amendments:http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendments.html

Keep in mind that the first 10 of these amendments are what is referred to as "the Bill of Rights." They were passed before the Constitution was ratified and probably were necessary to achieve that ratification. :)

This link will provide some information for those of you who would like to understand the thinking of the rebelling American colonists concerning British law:

http://www.assumption.edu/ahc/1770s/coreconstitution.html

Initially, the colonists were angry not because they wanted to break away from being British citizens but because they felt they were not being afforded the rights guaranteed to British citizens.

This link will provide some information for those of you who would like to understand the thinking of the rebelling American colonists concerning British law:

http://www.assumption.edu/ahc/1770s/coreconstitution.html

Initially' date=' the colonists were angry not because they wanted to break away from being British citizens but because they felt they were not being afforded the rights guaranteed to British citizens.[/quote']

Coral, I certainly hope you don't expect anyone to pay any attention to this stuff, Hell, they start right off using the "G" word.

"All persons born in the British American Colonies are, by the laws of God and nature " :D

Coral' date=' I certainly hope you don't expect anyone to pay any attention to this stuff, Hell, they start right off using the "G" word.

"[i']All persons born in the British American Colonies are, by the laws of God and nature "[/i] :D

And maybe they thought the world was flat and the moon was made of cheese. Doesn't mean everything they did was incorrect.

It also doesn't mean everything they wrote or every law, etc. that stems from their writings requires the "G" word. :D

And maybe they thought the world was flat and the moon was made of cheese. Doesn't mean everything they did was incorrect.

It also doesn't mean everything they wrote or every law' date=' etc. that stems from their writings requires the "G" word. :D[/quote']

I was trying to be facetious. :)