Will my problems ever end?

ecoli

Just a reminder... these anti-virus/spyware or anything in fact needs to be updated, new spyware is coming out daily and unless you get new software (normally in the form of updates) you will not be protected against new threats.

Microsoft AntiSpyware is the best program out there for getting rid of the particularly virulent spywares.

It allows you to see all the browser help objects installed with IE (the way a lot of spyware gets in) and remove it without question. It can also stop any running process and stop any programs from running at start up. One look through these areas in the program will show you processes and programs in the startup that you won't find through task manager or the registry (I don't know why). You can also reclaim IE after it has been hijacked with the click of a button.

There are also some unrelated but mentionable features that let you "clear your tracks" from a bunch of programs, including IE, WMP, and windows explorer.

As for actually removing spyware, it might not remove as many as adaware (so you should run both) but the features I've already mentioned more than compensate.

Now, I know that lots of people don't like Microsoft. And believe me, I'm no fanboy; I run linux most of the time. But in this case it's a Microsoft product that really gets down and dirty with the spyware and provides the most features, so I recommend it. And really, Microsoft just bought out a small software company and modified there software, which is why it doesn't look like what you would expect from MS.

Just give it a try and I'm sure you'll like it.

Get Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, and remove all browser help objects from IE.

You actually trust Microsoft to be part of the solution?

I can't really make an actual comment on the software. I use a Mac, so I'm reading this thread just for the entertainment value.