Will my problems ever end?

ecoli

Hey, I have a new computer problem I was hoping someone could help me out with. Whener I click on a folder on my desktop (My computer, My Documents, etc.) this error message pops up:

explorerror.jpg

As I result, I can't get to any folders through my desktop. Can someone explain why this is happening/ how I can fix it?

Thank you so much!

as Newtonian said you most likely have spyware, which program you use is really down to personal choice. Each one searches for slightly different stuff so they often find stuff others dont.

Ad-aware

Spybot search n destroy

Spyware doctor (good, you have to pay for updates, so just live with an out of date version, it still finds stuff!)

are the ones that i use.

It is possible you have a virus which is causing this... a virus scan could get rid of it, but make sure it is all removed otherwise it'll keep coming back, also some viruses can avoid a virus scan once they are running in the background... avast boot-time scan is good and avast comes with a 30 or 60 day trial.

check your running program list, i like:

http://www.teamcti.com/pview/

and then check all the proccess with:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

make sure you copy the name exactly, there's a big different between explorer.exe (windows process) and explore.exe (virus/spyware)

finally it may just be a windows error or corruption, simply reinstalling windows would fix that problem.. if it comes back then you've got spyware/virus.

I have adaware...do you think I need something else?

as long as you keep it up to date that should be ok, but as i have said before, every program searches in a different way and consequently every program does find different things... a variety is always good.

If it was me, I would start by reloading IE and see if that fixes it.

IE is internet explorer and is a web browser. Explorer is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer, it is windows, in a basic sense... if you mean reinstal that, aka reinstal windows then that's a good idea, it wasnt there when i typed my last post, im on msn and took me over 8 mins to type that!

I have adaware...do you think I need something else?

webroot spy sweeper is really good as well.

Ad-aware on its own is pretty crap,it doesnt find everything.You need more protection,the programs ive suggested will sort your problem out.I cannot add more than i have already

the programs ive suggested will sort your problem out.

No, you hope they will... you cannot say for certain because you do not know for certain what the problem is!

Could be a virus or file corruption (which whilst normally malware could be a physical corruption on the disk or sumin which is super unlikely but not totaly impossible)

The filename "helper101.dll" was not found when i wanted to look it up in the "DLL Help Database Search" on microsoft´s website (you better check that out for yourself - I just did a brief search to verify my assumption). Because of that it seems very probable to me that this particular dll is not part of windows but a spyware program (as allready suggested).

From my experiences it is often sufficient to simply delete such files (you might want to rename it first or make a backup copy to be safe) and maybe search your windows registry for entries containing the file and also delete them.

No' date=' you [u']hope[/u] they will... you cannot say for certain because you do not know for certain what the problem is!

Could be a virus or file corruption (which whilst normally malware could be a physical corruption on the disk or sumin which is super unlikely but not totaly impossible)

No sorry 5614,I can say because i do know that it will cure his problem,he has spyware!.

Its up to him what he chooses to do,we can only suggest the course of action.

Ecoli never asked for your opinion on my opinion did he,I thought the idea was to offer help to him.

But if i need your help on wording my posts in future i will run them by you first eh,if thats alright

IE is internet explorer and is a web browser. Explorer is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer' date=' it is windows, in a basic sense... if you mean reinstal that, aka reinstal windows then that's a good idea, it wasnt there when i typed my last post, im on msn and took me over 8 mins to type that![/quote']

OK, I thought he meant IE.

In that case, I would reinstall windows too. For starters.

Atheist: last time i had a problem with an unknown dll file i deleted it... it resulted in a format and reinstalled OS!

Newtonian: whilst i admit it is most likely spyware you cannot rule out the possibility of a virus, atheist's search for helper101.dll tends to suggest it is not a genuine HDD/file corruption.

This isn't an UNKNOWN dll it's screamingly obvious that it's spyware - HELPER101.dll says it all really!!!!

Do a google search for "helper101.dll" and read any of the first 50 results.

You can't just answer every problem with the possibilty that it's file corruption, a virus or incompatibility, it's useless in diagnosing a problem and is the same as saying "it's broken" - you'd be suprised at how infrequently that's actually the case.

If you want to become knowledgeable about computers you need to look into the root cause of these problems not just put it down to unknown failures.

"My PC is acting strange, I must have a virus" is the cry of the inexperienced end user. It's pretty easy to discern whether a problem is due to a virus and usually it's not.

Spyware is the scourge of the modern pc,the longer you accumulate infection without dealing with it.The more your puter slows down,your registry gets overloaded,programs run invisibly and your pute ends up with a mulitude of errors.

You said what you have already got,you need the other programs i suggested.Or Pm me with your email and i will tell you how to recieve them from me.That is not an offer for others to bombard me with requests for my cracking expertise.If you like a program buy it!